starting strength gym

Thread: Lowering Weight to Fix Form

Default Lowering Weight to Fix Form

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi,

So my squat form is atrocious, even more so as of recently due to higher weights. I have to high bar squat because I have a torn labrum and my shoulder cannot stand putting the bar low. I lean forward excessively and have probably been doing so from the beginning, but never caught it until now. My last session I attempted 200lbs. I got all the reps for each set, but I only got the weight up by compensating with really crap form. I will take a video next workout and post it. My question is how much weight should I take off to fix my form? Is it okay to go back 50-60lbs? I've been on the program for ~4-5 weeks. Thanks!

As much as is required in order to use correct form.

Start from the beginning and load weight until form gets loose. Call it a day and use that as starting weight.

I hate to disagree, but let's see the video before we decide whether a deload is actually necessary here. "Deloading to fix form" is an insidious trap that lots of people who could have become strong find themselves falling into.

Will do, Adam.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I hate to disagree, but let's see the video before we decide whether a deload is actually necessary here. "Deloading to fix form" is an insidious trap that lots of people who could have become strong find themselves falling into.

Especially since how your average poster characterizes their squat often doesn't match what we actually see on a form check. If someone says their form is "perfect," I know it sucks without even watching a video. If someone says their form is "atrocious," it could either be reasonably good or downright awful...but more often than not, it isn't as bad as they think.