starting strength gym

Thread: Anyone know anything about Titan Powerlifting Shoes/familar with Safe Squat Shoes?

Default Anyone know anything about Titan Powerlifting Shoes/familar with Safe Squat Shoes?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys, I'm looking into a new pair of shoes, and I have been eyeing the Titan Olympians for some time; They just seem like an incredibly supportive platform, and they at least are good enough for Malanichev. That said, its hard to get much in the ways of actual user experience with them.

Now, as fortune would have it, these shoes are actually Titan's continuation of the old Safe brand squat shoes, both the Contenders and SSTs. I am fairly certain that some members of this board would have some experience with those shoes (heck, I know Ripp STILL is using that old pair of Safe shoes of his as seen on the Art of Manliness videos.) So for anyone who has used those in the past, or actually may have experience with the Titan versions proper, any thoughts? Are they as amazing as they look? Or they better than just getting whatever is the latest top of the line weightlifting shoe? (Hello Leistung!)

I picked up an old pair of safe squat shoes (hi-top) because they were super cheap on ebay (£50) and I was curious.

I usually use romaleos, and so I tried squatting with one safe shoe on and one romaleo on. The support was pretty much equal between both, with the safe shoes maybe edging out the romaleos slightly. That being said, they're also far less comfortable than the romaleos, which is saying something because the romaleos already feel like walking around in ski boots. The safe shoes have an ultra stiff heel cup and toe box with essentially no forefoot flexibility whatsoever.

The newer versions have made an attempt to make them more comfortable, but I have no experience with them. If you can get an old pair of safe shoes for cheap, you're getting an absolute bargain in terms of a quality squat shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by JB47 View Post
    I picked up an old pair of safe squat shoes (hi-top) because they were super cheap on ebay (£50) and I was curious.

I usually use romaleos, and so I tried squatting with one safe shoe on and one romaleo on. The support was pretty much equal between both, with the safe shoes maybe edging out the romaleos slightly. That being said, they're also far less comfortable than the romaleos, which is saying something because the romaleos already feel like walking around in ski boots. The safe shoes have an ultra stiff heel cup and toe box with essentially no forefoot flexibility whatsoever.

The newer versions have made an attempt to make them more comfortable, but I have no experience with them. If you can get an old pair of safe shoes for cheap, you're getting an absolute bargain in terms of a quality squat shoe.
    Would you say the hi top added or detracted from the experience in any meaningful way? And that IS saying something: I have felt Romaleos, and although I am one of those guys who actually like the weighty feeling, I couldn't imagine something that out-stiffs is so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Would you say the hi top added or detracted from the experience in any meaningful way?
    Didn't feel like it added or took away anything. I think a lo-top would look cooler.

If it ever got in the way, you could just remove the laces from the top eyelets so that it isn't laced quite so high.

Quote Originally Posted by JB47 View Post
    Didn't feel like it added or took away anything. I think a lo-top would look cooler.

If it ever got in the way, you could just remove the laces from the top eyelets so that it isn't laced quite so high.
    Thanks very much JB! Guess I've got to admit, it not feeling that much better than the much cheaper (and quicker to get) Romaleos isn't quite the motivation I'd need to get it. Guess its an excellent shoe in a market where the big names have found how to make excellent shoes on the cheap. Every time I see the new Leistung, I feel I should be lifting in space... although I admit, I have experience with BOA, and I could definitely see wanting that over normal laces, even if I'd STILL want the strap.

I also kind of wonder what happened to weightlifting hi tops. Maybe just didn't see the need to spend and cost more on a shoe where ankle mobility is valuable anyways?