starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check after reset

Default Deadlift form check after reset

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This is my first form check for deadlift. I pulled 320# on March 6th but my back looked very much like a a scared cat. I did a big reset and have worked back up to 285# since then.
    I have read the deadlift set up and was actually trying to do the steps.

I appreciate the feedback.

285#- 1 April 2016 - YouTube

You've got the idea that your back should be fairly vertical on the pull, both on the way up and on the way down. This is incorrect. You are dropping your butt too low on your setup and pushing the bar forward of the midfoot with your shins. Review the deadlift setup steps in the sticky. Follow them to the letter. This will result in your butt being higher than you want it to be and more tension in the hamstrings that you would probably want. On the way down, stop bending your knees so early and arresting the bar's motion on your quads. This is exacerbating the problem of the bar going in front of the midfoot. On the way down, the deadlift will go like this - just unlock the knees, bend at the waist, once the bar passes the knees, bend at the knees. Re-position the bar if needed to bring it back over the midfoot for your next pull.

Coach,
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll get to work trying to incorporate your corrections.