starting strength gym

Thread: Rehab of a broken foot

Default Rehab of a broken foot

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I noticed through searches that there isn't much discussion here on rehabbing broken bones. I like your general philosophy on broken bones of forcing it to heal through natural motion and exercise that pumps fresh blood though the area, but how about parts that are in a cast and difficult to move?

I broke my first metatarsal at the distal end, right by the MT joint (apparently railroad ties are much stronger than feet.) I'm in a cast up to my knee. I tried going through the motion of an air squat, but the inability to bend my ankle keeps me from coming straight down, and I end up off to the side, almost like a groin stretch. Balancing on the rounded bottom of the cast is also pretty difficult.

Is there anything that I can be doing to speed the healing process and try to prevent losing too much lower body strength?

Since I don't know the particulars of the fracture, I'd just say that you need to move around your hips and knees as much as possible. One possible way might be to squat outside on a surface that can stabilize the rounded bottom of the cast, like a yard or some sand.

I am also currently rehabbing from a fractured metatarsal, 5th one. Ive had it in a cast, but it didnt heal so I had to have an operation, where they put a big old screw in the foot. I see the doc in two weeks, by then i wont have walked for 3 months.

Hope yours gets better mate.

Mark - Any problems you know of doing SS after such as injury? - Im sure the doctor will tell me to avoid squats at all costs as per their "expert" opinion.

Id rather here yours though??

Cheers,

London Lion

Maybe it would have healed better out of the cast. You already know what I think about rehab.

I guess your thoughts on rehab must be in one of the two books, I'll keep reading.

Thanks for the input.

London Lion

Search function on this board works too.

Quote Originally Posted by London Lion View Post
    I am also currently rehabbing from a fractured metatarsal, 5th one. Ive had it in a cast, but it didnt heal so I had to have an operation, where they put a big old screw in the foot. I see the doc in two weeks, by then i wont have walked for 3 months.

Hope yours gets better mate.

Mark - Any problems you know of doing SS after such as injury? - Im sure the doctor will tell me to avoid squats at all costs as per their "expert" opinion.

Id rather here yours though??

Cheers,

London Lion
    Hey all, I thought I'd share my own experience with a fractured 5th metatarsal, FWIW.

This happened during my career as a modern ballet dancer at around age 26 or so.

1. The fracture. Stage was freshly mopped but not dried. You can fill in the rest.

2. The cast. Cut off with a hacksaw three weeks into the healing process.

3. The re-break. Went back to a performing schedule without proper re-training. Broke again via a landing from jump with turned ankle.

4. The treatment. Another nine months of a removable cast, with crutches and a bone stimulator to wear at night. No healing. Prognosis: get a pin.

5. The healing. Got rid of the removable cast. A podiatrist saw me walking around sans cast and asked "does it hurt still?" Answer "no." "Well, while you are trying to scrape up $$ for a surgery, why don't you go back to class?" You can imagine the muscle deterioration by this time, it was incredible.

Went back to class, did barre only for a month.

Got an x-ray. Completely healed.

I am not recommending cutting off a new cast !!!! hehe.

I guess I'm just saying - maybe surgery isn't always necessary with these tiny fractures.

-Gwynn who is NOT a doctor

And I'll bet Gwynne wasn't drinking a GOMAD.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And I'll bet Gwynne wasn't drinking a GOMAD.
    She was (is?) a ballet dancer, and cyclists have nothing on ballet dancers when it comes to paranoia about weight gain. From what I've seen and heard of the pros, it's good that she was eating enough to heal at all. It's a rough life and many of the girls don't even start menstruating until their late teens or early twenties.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuesday View Post
    She was (is?) a ballet dancer, and cyclists have nothing on ballet dancers when it comes to paranoia about weight gain. From what I've seen and heard of the pros, it's good that she was eating enough to heal at all. It's a rough life and many of the girls don't even start menstruating until their late teens or early twenties.
    Haha. What he said. I was at about 11% bodyfat at the time.