starting strength gym

Thread: Women and fat loss/muscle gain

Default Women and fat loss/muscle gain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I am a 22 year old woman wanting to getting stronger and lose fat (fat, not necessarily body weight). I know that to lose fat I need to create a calorie deficit, and strength gains require calorie excess. But it is also my understanding that women do not gain muscle the same way men do, and also do not lose fat as easily. Is it possible for me to gain strength AND lose fat, or should I focus on just one? What would be the best way to train and eat to do this? Any useful input is appreciated.

Zone diet and CrossFit works so well together that it is a waste of time to do anything else.

I would agree with Rip on this, and I would go as far as to say that it has been my experience that women respond faster to this combination than does a man. Cannot go wrong with Zone/Crossfit; you will lose bodyfat and get stronger.

I think it works best with a combo of Zone or Paleo (I think the Zone is too carby), Crossfit, and heavy lifting. I was doing Crossfit and rowing practices at a slightly pudgy 137. I wasn't until I upped my fat and protein and started following SS that I really started to lean out. I've put 80+ pounds on my squat (just don't ask me about my press) and my legs have really firmed up on SS whereas with just Crossfit and rowing, they lacked visible muscle. And I dropped down to 125 and lost a size without really trying to lose any weight.