starting strength gym

Thread: How deep should one go with a power clean

Default How deep should one go with a power clean

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,

Thanks for the time you have put into your books, DVD, and this site.

With the power clean I have noticed that some people get into deep squat when they rack the bar while others are nearly fully upright. What determines how low one should go when catching the bar?

Thanks

I think you have noticed people doing squat cleans.

Does the squat clean allow you to lift more weight? I am assuming that with a higher weight one would not be a get the bar as high during the second pull, therefore a lower squat would be needed to get under the bar. What are the advantages / disadvantages between the power clean and squat clean?

By definition you can't sink below parallel, else it is a squat clean, which is not a power clean.

Bergie, I think the differences between the squat clean and the power clean are covered in the book, and why squat clean was not included in the Program. I don't have the book with me, but I think I remember Mark stated that one could include the squat clean if desired, but if that individual is also learning the back squat for the first time it may not be a good idea to learn the squat clean at the same time as well.

Ken