starting strength gym

Thread: Question on Pain

Default Question on Pain

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Dear Coach Rip,

I've just gotten to the end of the Novice Stage of training on SS. My problem is that over the past couple of weeks I've been getting a more intense pain in my groin area of my left leg. It feels like it?s almost right where my femur joins the trunk of my body. When I was squatting the pain would be the greatest right at the bottom when my knees were all the way out and right on my ascent from the bottom. I took a week off because the pain was starting to really hinder my consistent gains on the squat. It?s been about two weeks since I've squatted, but the pain has not gotten any better and even when doing body squats I feel it at the bottom (the pain feels like a pulling pain). I also get it when if im sitting or standing and I try to adduct my leg. I should probably go to the doctor, but I already envision him telling me to rest and asking why am I even doing squats in the first place, which then I would politely tell him to fuck off. What do you think I should do coach? The idea of not being able to squat is almost as unbearable as the pain!

Thanks again
    Dave

Layoffs don't work? Hmm... Well, if the pain is now to the point where you feel it all the time it might be a good idea to get it looked at by somebody who can order an appropriate test like a conventional x-ray or an MRI.

This sounds exactly like a mysterious pain (hip-flexor) I had a few months ago due to poor form. Try a closer stance (feet closer together than you think) and emphasize the natural arch of your back. Maybe post a video and let Rip tear you apart?

and give it time to heal before you go nuts, obviously.