starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat much better than deadlift?

Default Squat much better than deadlift? EDIT: W/Video

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Yesterday I got back in the gym after two weeks off, due to some stuff being fucked up. It thought it was unfucked to the point of being able to get back in the gym so I did. I still cant press,jerk or snatch, but such is life.

Issue. My squat is much better than my deadlift. I was trying to see where my strength was at and got 275(high bar) for a set of 5. The 5th rep was slow but I got it done. Chalked up and to see how deadlifting would go, and pulled 255 for a HARD set of 5. I couldnt even break 275 off the floor for a single. I slept well, I ate well, I had coffee. I was feeling good, but my deadlift is bullshit.

Note. I am not squatting high. Maybe not proper deep, but deep enough, I'd say.

The only reason I can think for this discrepancy is that I used to be 325 pounds (205 at the moment) and walking around all day at that weight i developed stronger legs? Any ideas?

Height: 5'9
    Weight: 205

EDIT (videos from tonight)Squats are third set of 5 at 255. This is the first time I have ever taken a video of myself. Pretty cool to be able to pick myself apart. Id say the bar is always a bit forward, rather than over the mid foot. Last two reps really shoot forward, but it was the last set so I won't kill myself over it.

I don't really lock out my first couple deadlifts and setting them down was a bit out of shape. Deads felt pretty good tonight, I think there was a little bit more in the tank if I'm honest. Any input would be appreciated. Shoulders over the bar a bit more perhaps?

http://www.vimeo.com/30001634

I also realize I'm weak as little girl. Im working on it.
    Last edited by WDN; 10-04-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Some people just don't deadlift as well as they squat. Of course, without video, it is tough to say anything one way or another. If you cannot hold your back in extension of the floor, deads will difficult. With practice, it is probable that they will come around to meet or exceed your squat. There are many powerlifters that squat more than they deadlift, although in some cases that is because of the supporting gear they use. Keep working and see how things develop.

Ill try and get a video of my training tomorrow. I'll throw a camera up on a box or something, that might work. Seeing guys who squat 315, but pull an easy 405(+) is frustrating when you can barely pull 255 for a set of 5! Im not scheduled to deadlift tomorrow, but fuck it. Better go eat something.

Quote Originally Posted by WDN View Post
    Ill try and get a video of my training tomorrow. I'll throw a camera up on a box or something, that might work. Seeing guys who squat 315, but pull an easy 405(+) is frustrating when you can barely pull 255 for a set of 5! Im not scheduled to deadlift tomorrow, but fuck it. Better go eat something.
    I know how you feel. At least when your deadlift catches up, you'll be outsquatting those bastards by a hundred pounds.

Got the vid up.

This is quite mystical how somebody can squat more than they deadlift. Few guys in my gym squat also more than they deadlift. It is not about powerlifting gear or squat depth or injury, they just squat more. I have seen it with my own eyes but i can't believe what i see.

Do you feel tension in your hamstrings and glutes when you deadlift? Your form looks similar to mine, my PRs are 375# squat and 350# DL. What I ended up finding out (after a lumbar disc hernia L5-S1) is that I was not actually using my hamstring and glutes properly, I attribute this to being a chornic desk sitter (at work and at home). Since the injury, I have been working on mobility in my hips, direct torso work and posterior chain stuff like light RDLs as well as warm-ups like glute brifges, bird dogs, lying hamstring curls using a bosu (yes a bosu hehe).

First off, your deadlift set-up is wrong. Shoulders should be in front of the bar. Fix it.

Also, based on fast you pull, the reason your deadlift is behind your squat is because you refuse to put more weight on the bar. None of those looked particularly heavy.

starting strength coach development program
    Other than not using the correct setup and, as you mentioned, not locking out a few of your reps, I see nothing horribly wrong with your deadlift. Just fix your set up and keep adding weight to the bar.

Also, why are you squatting high bar?

Quote Originally Posted by WDN View Post
    I also realize I'm weak as little girl.
    My six year old daughter is pretty strong. Just sayin'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast