starting strength gym

Thread: High-bar above parallel "Athletic Squats"

Default High-bar above parallel "Athletic Squats"

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Can someone please explain to me if these squats are correct or if they are just pure ignorance. I've seen respectable trainers use this form with their clients. I've seen really strong guys use this form. I believe that athletes often use this form.

The lifter unracks the bar in a high bar position on top of the traps. Then they proceed to sit back and load up their hips. They may go deeper than a quarter squat but never parallel.

I say that you should have the bar on your rear delts if you intend to sit back and load up your hips. I also say that you should ALWAYS go below parallel.

Are you guys aware of the squat that I am talking about? I'm trying to figure out if my belief that this is totally incorrect is correct or a display of ignorance? I know that starting strength doesn't describe a squat in this style. I just want to know if you know people who squat like this and if you can explain it to me?

I've seen these squats in those cheesy ESPN videos where they show 'the training story' behind the athlete, show a quick glimpse of the guy/girl with a bar and maybe one plate each side doing little squat 'dips' .... I think that's what you mean..

Maybe for bodybuilding purposes: quad pump work?

Years ago I was taught that squatting below parallel was bad for the knees. Aim for a 90º bend at the knee and that's it.

I now know I was taught wrong but it's a pretty prevalent myth.

It sounds like you are describing a correctly performed half squat, to the extent that there is such a thing. While it is a good deal safer than the knees forward abomination one often sees in gyms, it is not as effective as a squat, and offers no benefit over a squat unless the lifter's knees are actually incapable of bending past 90 degrees.