starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lock Jaw Pro vs. Muscle Clamps: Which collar would you pick?

Default Lock Jaw Pro vs. Muscle Clamps: Which collar would you pick?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Personal testimonials please. Do you have one, and why did you pick it?

Tired of the spring clamps, and here are the two choices:
    Lockjaw Collars (here' the Rogue version):

or Muscle Clamps:

The pricing on them appears to be about the same, so really it comes down to speed and fit. I have two bars: one is a true 1.969" Rogue bar, and the other is a piece of shit import bar, but it has a center knurl I prefer for squats. So if you have similar bars, that would be a big help to hear feedback here.

I have the Rogue HG's. They work well for the most part but they do move around a bit on dropped snatches and pc's. I don't know how well other collars hold up to that. If you drop lifts you might want to double them up or spend a bunch more money.

Oh, and my wife broke a finger nail opening it... So there's that show stopper.

I wouldn't spend money on a collar unless I am hauling some serious poundages that the risk of plates falling off is high.

A very cheap ghetto alternative that works awesome is using thick rubber bands (about half a inch thick). Just tie them at the edge and bam no plate slippage.

I have both. Don't get the lock jaw pros. They are a serious pain in the fucking ass to get open. People at my gym fight over the muscle clamps. The regular lock jaws (without the red tab) are cheaper, but I've had multiple ones break. Get the muscle clamps.

Also, if you are looking for something that just keeps the weight in place, spring clips work better than both. If I have to do multiple reps on a snatch or a clean and jerk, I will pick the cheap spring clips every time over the muscle clamps.

I have a Rogue power bar and collars that look exactly like those Rogue HGs pictured (but they're cheap Chinese imports). They work well, not much movement that I can detect. I need them to be pretty tight as I lift in a 3rd floor apartment and don't need any unnecessary noises. (what with the dog and the 8 month old)

Cool, thanks for all the replies. I already have two sets of spring loaded and an imitation Ivanko collar: .

My main issue is the spring collars are worn out from years of use (~ 10 years old) and the Invako style collar hold things securely, but is a major pain in the ass to take on/off. I use it for LTE exclusively. I've found that springs do a poor job holding the 45's on for deadlifts, hence the grip. I guess they are cheap enough I might try both.

Good to hear to avoid the pro, I was considering them as an extra grip, but the standard lockjaws on amazon have far more positive reviews than the others, so I think I might go with them:
    http://www.amazon.com/Lock-Jaw-Colla...DateDescending

used the rogues for 2 years now and bought a pair for my home gym. I fucking love them and have zero issues opening and closing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
    I have both. Don't get the lock jaw pros. They are a serious pain in the fucking ass to get open. People at my gym fight over the muscle clamps. The regular lock jaws (without the red tab) are cheaper, but I've had multiple ones break. Get the muscle clamps.
    That's funny because it's the complete opposite at our gym. We find Lock jaws are the better of the two. Muscle clamps are good but the lock jaws beat them, especially on deadlifts. We also haven't had any issue with getting them off the bars.

I should also note we have the regular lock jaws not the pros and none of them have broke yet.

starting strength coach development program
    I've used both the Rogues and the Muscle Clamps. I prefer the Rogues. For deadlifts, or other lifts that hit the floor, I like those velcro/fabric clamps. All of them wear out or break if given enough time and abuse.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast