starting strength gym

Thread: Pull ups

Default Pull ups

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    This morning I did squats, bench, PC and Pull Ups. I have been doing 3-5 sets of pull-ups to failure which is anywhere from 13-3 reps depending on how smoked I am. This morning I did 3 sets of 5 reps with 20 pounds hanging from belt. I had never tried a pull up with weight.

It was easier than I thought it would be. Am I better off doing pull ups with weight every other workout or alternating to failure? Seems like the weights will lead to most stength?

I've always liked doing them like a main lift, if you can handle it go for it. If you have recovery issues you might ease up on these first...

For pull-ups or chin-ups, you wanna do a max of 15 reps per set, up to 3 sets. Once you can do 15 reps per set, then add as much weight where you can only do 3 sets of 5 reps.

Seems like I'd be best served to start a linear progression of weighted pull ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Dkrad1935 View Post
    Seems like I'd be best served to start a linear progression of weighted pull ups.
    You'll get really strong, but it's also a state of mind thing... If you think you have to push the big 4 or 5 and pull ups all at once, keep in mind something will eventually have to give (which is obviously why we have intermediate programming).

If you're up to it (young enough, etc.) then give it a whirl for a while.

What is your goal? Do you want big pull-up/chin numbers (20+) or just to gain as much pull-up/chinning strength as possible?

Just strength at this point. And mass.

On the topic of pullups/chinups, how to properly progress when given a rep range (6-8) with weighted chinups on a routine?

starting strength coach development program
    I plan on doing 3 sets of 5 and adding 5 pounds each time I do it or until I can't recover.