starting strength gym

Thread: 8 weeks left to train, need help/advice/opinions

Question 8 weeks left to train, need help/advice/opinions

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello there,

I have a hip impingement. I'll get surgery to correct this at the end of september. I have 8 more weeks to train before I'll go to the hospital. A few things about me: Male, 22 years old, 5'9", 213 pounds.

I have run a SS LP from August 2014 through January 2015 and TM from then on. Top lifts at the moment are:
    Press: 159.5x3
    Bench Press: 269.5x2
    Squat: 401.5x3
    Deadlift: 451x1

Really not that impressive, I guess I am not a talented athlete, but this is not what this is about. I'll probably not be able to lift heavy for a few months after the surgery so I am thinking about my options at the moment. I could just continue TM until I get cut open. Or I could do some kind of a taper (will have to read up on that though) and do some kind of a mock meet to finish this go at lifting on a high.

I'll be back to lifting after the surgery as fast as I can but I'll probably have to start all over again (hopefully I'll progress a little bit faster next time around).

What would you do in my situation? I am thankful for every answer, this whole thing is weighing me down hard.

Just keep doing your regular program.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Just keep doing your regular program.
    Thanks for your input. It still feels kind of weird that I'll be back at f*cking zero in a few weeks. I guess I am looking for ways to cope.

Quote Originally Posted by Toot View Post
    Hello there,

I have a hip impingement. I'll get surgery to correct this at the end of september. I have 8 more weeks to train before I'll go to the hospital. A few things about me: Male, 22 years old, 5'9", 213 pounds.

I have run a SS LP from August 2014 through January 2015 and TM from then on. Top lifts at the moment are:
    Press: 159.5x3
    Bench Press: 269.5x2
    Squat: 401.5x3
    Deadlift: 451x1

Really not that impressive, I guess I am not a talented athlete, but this is not what this is about. I'll probably not be able to lift heavy for a few months after the surgery so I am thinking about my options at the moment. I could just continue TM until I get cut open. Or I could do some kind of a taper (will have to read up on that though) and do some kind of a mock meet to finish this go at lifting on a high.

I'll be back to lifting after the surgery as fast as I can but I'll probably have to start all over again (hopefully I'll progress a little bit faster next time around).

What would you do in my situation? I am thankful for every answer, this whole thing is weighing me down hard.
    First, stop putting yourself down. The weights you move are fine for you. The fact that you put in the work is what matters, the results will come.

Second, I've had numerous surgeries that require time off. IT SUCKS. This might make you feel better.

A number of years ago maybe 10, I had a significant injury to my left arm. 2 surgeries that left me with a paralyzed left hand. I recovered but my left hand is permanently paralyzed. I won't go into details. Than I had a heart attack ( 4 years ago @ 55 years old), it took my 1 1/2 years to get back to barbell training.

Today 59, competing again.

YOU WILL BE FINE. Train as usual, my sick brain I would train the morning of my surgery lol. BUT DON'T

Listen to your doctor and heal up, don't rush your recovery.
    Last edited by lou t; 07-26-2015 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    First, stop putting yourself down. The weights you move are fine for you. The fact that you put in the work is what matters, the results will come.

Second, I've had numerous surgeries that require time off. IT SUCKS. This might make you feel better.

A number of years ago maybe 10, I had a significant injury to my left arm. 2 surgeries that left me with a paralyzed left hand. I recovered but my left hand is permanently paralyzed. I won't go into details. Than I had a heart attack ( 4 years ago @ 55 years old), it took my 1 1/2 years to get back to barbell training.

Today 59, competing again.

YOU WILL BE FINE. Train as usual, my sick brain I would train the morning of my surgery lol. BUT DON'T

Listen to your doctor and heal up, don't rush your recovery.
    Thanks, lou. You are right, this puts things into perspective a bit. I guess, life has just been life for me lately and now this feels like the last nail in the coffin. But I'll try to keep your words in my head.

Sorry to hear about your hand, you seem to be coping pretty well. I hope I'll be as swole as you are at your age.

I had a 6 month wait for a surgery that I thought was going to be much worse than it was. I got lucky in the end. But the waiting sucks. I started a log here when I had about 6 weeks left. The uncertainty was driving me nuts. . . . I just set some reasonable PR goals and trained for them as it the week before surgery was going to be a meet. That kept me motivated despite knowing that I was going to have to reset big time.

I don't know what recovery is like for your surgery, but I can empathize.

How long of a recovery does the surgeon estimate? If it's more than a month or so, as I assume it will be, there's nothing much you can do now to make it easier to come back. Nothing, I suppose, than to keep doing what you are doing now. You are going to lose muscle, there no way around that. But given your numbers now I'm sure it will come back fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Toot View Post
    Thanks, lou. You are right, this puts things into perspective a bit. I guess, life has just been life for me lately and now this feels like the last nail in the coffin. But I'll try to keep your words in my head.

Sorry to hear about your hand, you seem to be coping pretty well. I hope I'll be as swole as you are at your age.
    we all have our own perspective on our lives. sometimes we need to put our lives in proper context.

This not even close to being the last nail....because as long as you get to breathe air...you get to fight another day over whatever obstacles are in front of you. Some are real and some are imagined.

keep your chin up.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    I had a 6 month wait for a surgery that I thought was going to be much worse than it was. I got lucky in the end. But the waiting sucks. I started a log here when I had about 6 weeks left. The uncertainty was driving me nuts. . . . I just set some reasonable PR goals and trained for them as it the week before surgery was going to be a meet. That kept me motivated despite knowing that I was going to have to reset big time.

I don't know what recovery is like for your surgery, but I can empathize.

How long of a recovery does the surgeon estimate? If it's more than a month or so, as I assume it will be, there's nothing much you can do now to make it easier to come back. Nothing, I suppose, than to keep doing what you are doing now. You are going to lose muscle, there no way around that. But given your numbers now I'm sure it will come back fast.
    I'll be on crutches for 4-6 weeks, only putting about 45 lbs on the left leg. The surgeon said I should be able to expect walking normally after about 3 months and then we'll have to see from there. I'll be back to squatting the empty bar as soon as I can though.

Thanks a lot for your input, I appreciate it.

ETA: I have a log here. And I'll keep logging after the surgery, maybe it will be of interest to someone with the same condition.
    Last edited by Toot; 07-26-2015 at 11:25 AM.