starting strength gym

Thread: Effects of excess body fat on conditioning?

Default Effects of excess body fat on conditioning?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    After another repeat Prowler session tonight where my fucking time/performance got worse yet again, I'm wondering if possessing excess body fat has a significant impact on the body's ability to adapt to conditioning?

Is someone at 30% body fat automatically going to be out of breath sooner and recover slower between sprints with the prowler than someone at 14% body fat? Is there any physiological reason that has to do with excess body fat affecting bloodflow or anything that would enforce a limitation like this?

Basically, is it possible me being 25% BF the reason I can't keep up with guys who are weaker than me when pushing that fucking sled?

Yep, weight has a huge impact on conditioning. Fat is dead weight. But that doesn't mean it is all bad. You want fat, but honestly, 25% is a bit high. I'd shoot to drop below 20%. Ideally, IMO, most guys should aim for 15%. That should be relatively easy for most to attain without denying themselves a bit of life in their diet.

Being fat will lower your performance, but it shouldn't effect your ability to adapt. You should be getting better, albiet at a slower pace than leaner guys. Maybe your doing too much too soon.