starting strength gym

Thread: Critique my training program

Default Critique my training program

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi everyone,

I have been following Madcow 5x5 for the last 9 weeks. The program requires the following:

Mon (5x5): Squat, Bench, Row
    Wed (4x5): Squat, Press, Deadlift
    Fri (4x5, 1x3, 1x8): Squat, Bench, Row

I've made some good gains on it. Here are my 5 rep max gains:

Squat - 285 to 310
    Bench - 235 to 260
    Row - 205 - 225
    Press - 125 to 145
    Deadlift - 365 to 405

Now, I am not one for changing programs on the fly. But, squatting 3x times a week is starting to take its toll on my body; my right knee is feeling a little dodgy, and I've sprained my lumbar twice (first time, I had to take a week off, and again today, although thankfully its minor this time).

Reading around, I seem to be injuring myself on squats due to tight and weak hips, hamstrings, and glutes.

Honestly, I feel great on all my other lifts, but I don't want to keep squatting if all my problems come from it. So, I've decided to take a break from heavy squatting for the next four weeks. Instead, here is what I plan to do:

Everday upon waking up: 15-25 mins of hip, hamstring, glute, and lumbar stretching.

Mon: Front Squat (5x5), Bench (5x5) , Row (5x5), Arched Back Good Mornings (4x8)
    Wed: Wide-Stance Box Squat (4x8), Press (4x5), Deadlift (4x5)
    Fri: Hip Thrust (4x8), Front Squat (4x5, 1x3, 1x8), Bench (4x5, 1x3, 1x8), Row(4x5, 1x3, 1x8)

I plan to do this starting next Monday for the next four weeks.

The idea behind this program was to keep doing what I am doing with Deadlift, Bench, Row, and Press, while adding in exercises that will strengthen my hips, glutes, and hamstrings so that I can eventually come back to doing regular squats.

Thoughts please?
    Last edited by oh-eff-gee; 10-11-2011 at 04:13 PM.

Did you do ramped sets on Madcow and light squats on Wednesday? Madcow, this http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm only calls for 1 max weight set of squats on Monday and Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by scwot View Post
    Did you do ramped sets on Madcow and light squats on Wednesday? Madcow, this http://madcow.hostzi.com/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm only calls for 1 max weight set of squats on Monday and Friday.
    Yes. I plugged my numbers into this spreadsheet: http://stronglifts.com/wp-content/up...madcow-5x5.zip

Quote Originally Posted by oh-eff-gee View Post
    Yes. I plugged my numbers into this spreadsheet: http://stronglifts.com/wp-content/up...madcow-5x5.zip
    Hmmm. Madcow runs less volume than other intermediate programs i.e Texas Method, so programmed correctly wouldn't have thought it would have been too stressful. The spreadsheet looks good so sounds like a form issue (or just picking up niggles which happens). Your squat looks a little low compared to your other lifts as well which would lead me more to thinking it's a form issue.

The new program looks good, although not sure about good mornings after the rows if you're having issues with lumbar. (And you'll probably be advised on this board to do power cleans instead of rows anyway)

Reading around, I seem to be injuring myself on squats due to tight and weak hips, hamstrings, and glutes.

Honestly, I feel great on all my other lifts, but I don't want to keep squatting if all my problems come from it.
    You just said your injuries are coming from tight and weak hips, hamstrings, and glutes. And then immediately proceeded to conclude that the injuries are coming from squats.

What?

Why not be more aggressive with mobility and soft-tissue work instead?

So, I've decided to take a break from heavy squatting for the next four weeks. Instead, here is what I plan to do:

Everday upon waking up: 15-25 mins of hip, hamstring, glute, and lumbar stretching.

Mon: Front Squat (5x5), Bench (5x5) , Row (5x5), Arched Back Good Mornings (4x8)
    Wed: Wide-Stance Box Squat (4x8), Press (4x5), Deadlift (4x5)
    Fri: Hip Thrust (4x8), Front Squat (4x5, 1x3, 1x8), Bench (4x5, 1x3, 1x8), Row(4x5, 1x3, 1x8)

I plan to do this starting next Monday for the next four weeks.

The idea behind this program was to keep doing what I am doing with Deadlift, Bench, Row, and Press, while adding in exercises that will strengthen my hips, glutes, and hamstrings so that I can eventually come back to doing regular squats.

Thoughts please?
    Squats do strengthen your glutes and hamstrings. I'm still not fully convinced why you want to change something that is otherwise working--at least according to yourself. You don't seem to be aggressively treating, or planning to treat, the ID'd cause (tight hips, etc.) of your issue(s).

You don't think wide stance box squats will aggravate your hips? I'm not saying they will or won't, I'm just curious as to why you think they won't.

Quote Originally Posted by scwot View Post
    Hmmm. Madcow runs less volume than other intermediate programs i.e Texas Method, so programmed correctly wouldn't have thought it would have been too stressful. The spreadsheet looks good so sounds like a form issue (or just picking up niggles which happens). Your squat looks a little low compared to your other lifts as well which would lead me more to thinking it's a form issue.

The new program looks good, although not sure about good mornings after the rows if you're having issues with lumbar. (And you'll probably be advised on this board to do power cleans instead of rows anyway)
    Thanks. Maybe I will get someone take a video of me squatting in the next couple days to see if form is an issue. Regarding the rows and good mornings; I think you are right. I will probably substitute in pull-ups for the rows.

Quote Originally Posted by davew View Post
    You just said your injuries are coming from tight and weak hips, hamstrings, and glutes. And then immediately proceeded to conclude that the injuries are coming from squats.

What?

Why not be more aggressive with mobility and soft-tissue work instead?

Squats do strengthen your glutes and hamstrings. I'm still not fully convinced why you want to change something that is otherwise working--at least according to yourself. You don't seem to be aggressively treating, or planning to treat, the ID'd cause (tight hips, etc.) of your issue(s).

You don't think wide stance box squats will aggravate your hips? I'm not saying they will or won't, I'm just curious as to why you think they won't.
    From my understanding: yes, squats do target the glutes, hamstrings, and hips, but, they do not target them as directly as some of the other exercises I have added in.

I have done front squats consistently in the past with no problems. But, when I consistently start doing regular squats around the 315 range, I tend to injure my lumbar.

EDIT: What sort of mobility and soft tissue work do you recommend?

Also, regarding the box squats: my understanding is that they help you learn how to properly "sit back" when squatting. I do not think I am sitting back properly on squats, which is aggravating my lumbar.
    Last edited by oh-eff-gee; 10-11-2011 at 05:27 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    From my understanding: yes, squats do target the glutes, hamstrings, and hips, but, they do not target them as directly as some of the other exercises I have added in.

I have done front squats consistently in the past with no problems. But, when I consistently start doing regular squats around the 315 range, I tend to injure my lumbar.

EDIT: What sort of mobility and soft tissue work do you recommend?

Also, regarding the box squats: my understanding is that they help you learn how to properly "sit back" when squatting. I do not think I am sitting back properly on squats, which is aggravating my lumbar.
    Are you sure that isn't primarily because your front squats are lighter?

Mobility, I don't know, I've never had an issue I had to extensively address. Check out mobilitywod.com for some ideas.

Box squats will also transfer a lot of the loading to your hips if you're doing them properly. Think of the reduced knee flexion; the bar movement has to come from somewhere.

What makes you think you need to sit back more? Regular squatting down have a down component to it, as you're aware. There's nothing wrong with this per se.