starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching over to 5/3/1 couple of initial q's

Default Switching over to 5/3/1 couple of initial q's

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I've been on TM for a while now and I'm switching to 5/3/1. It's time for a change and TM is beating me up more and more these days after shit has got pretty fucking heavy.

I'm reading the book now, not finished it yet. I'm really looking foward to starting the program but two issues jump out at me off the bat. I'm wondering what the SS community thinks:

Squatting only once a week?

Deadlifting every week?

I'm used to squatting 465 every monday 5x5 and over 500 for a triple every friday. I also only DL once every two weeks as It's gotten too heavy to recover from if I do it weekly.

Anyone in my posistion got any experience with the program?

Cheers.

Matt.

I'm now midway through my second cycle of 5-3-1 doing BBB, and the biggest thing that I've had trouble getting my head around has been how easy it has been so far. The main lifts for the day I finish really quickly to what I've been doing before. I've also noticed that the extra volume of BBB seems to really be helping my pressing in general. The first cycle, I was really sore from the extra volume, but once I made it through that first month, it has gotten considerably easier.

As far as deadlifting is concerned, yes, you are deadlifting every week, but you are really only deadlifting heavy once a month.

The squatting 1x/week is easy to fix if you feel you need to squat more frequently - just switch the back off sets (5x5, 4x4, 5x10 or whatever you use) with the day you do deads. I did this for a while, but switched back because I've found squatting 1x/week to be enough for me.

Pulling once every week hasn't been a problem up to this point for me (I pull in the 600's), because you are never really going super heavy. Even on 1+ week, its only 95% of your training max (which is 90% of your real estimated 1rm).
    However, even when I was pulling heavy, I was able to every 2 out of 3 weeks, so obviously people's recovery will be different - but in my experience your body adjusts pretty quickly.

I just started Karl's 5/1 and the lack of volume scared the shit outta me. I have never squatted less than 2x a week. I currently do a 2 day spllit, Mondays I bench and DL and thursdays I squat and press. I decided to add light squats on Monday to add some tonnage. I set these to about 80% of my 5+ set and do 3 sets of 5. So far I havent felt rusty going into a squat day. There are a couple of templates in the book that have increased squat frequency that you should check out as well.

Hey Aslin, I remember seeing over the past year or so that you've made some great progress on your lifts. I seem to recall our benches were pretty similar but you've way overtaken me in the squat. What are your lifts now, out of curiosity?

Unhappy

My numbers are lower than yours, but I switched over from SS to 5/3/1 quite happily a few years ago.

Seeing as how you have said that you're a bit beat up, could be just what the doctor ordered.

Well, I've been running 5/3/1 now for about 6 cycles, and came there from TM. My lifts are NOWHERE close to yours. But I can share my experience. First, sounds like you would benfit from the 3 day template, not 4:

I love this calculator, it has most of the 5/3/1 and beyond 5/3/1 options.
    http://www.blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

For 5/3/1, My favorite setup is not BBB, but doing the main lift, and then doing 5/3/1 in reverse, or just carrying the top work set across. i've tried both, and both are much close to a SS/TM model.

As for me, I did the 4 day week model, and I squatted 2x a week, basically repeated the workout each time, but my weights were low enough that recovery wasn't an issue. In your case you might benefit from a light day still. I'm thinking that in the context of the "practical programming" book where at 500+ squats you're running at a pretty advanced level, and you could really screw up your recovery going heavy 2x a week.

I can share that even squatting once a week, my squat has gone up. Would it go up faster if I squatted 2x a week? Probably. Would it go up faster if I didn't suck at squatting? Certainly. Your mileage may vary.

5/3/1 is pretty flexible. As long as you can handle the volume, you can either repeat each squat day later in the week, or you can simply do the next set later in the week. I am currently squatting on Monday, Friday, and the following Wednesday, then Adding weight and starting a new cycle the next Monday. I also front squat Tuesday, Saturday, and Thursday using the 5/3/1 system.

One thing you should prepare yourself for is a drop on your squat numbers. That is if you do the program as written. If your max is 525, then your training max would be 472.5. Your first 75/85/95% day will be 355x5, 400 x3, 447.5x1+. If you do it as written, it could take about 4 cycles to get back to your former working weight. Some people can't stand this. It can be frustrating and you may want to squat more than once a week. Some people skip the de-load to cut a month or so off the process of getting back up to their working sets. You could also skip the step of taking 10% of your max off the top, and use your actual max to calculate your sets. You won't be as far behind in weight, but you'll stall sooner and have to reset. You'll have to figure out for yourself what you want to do.

It sounds like you will definitely want to take 10% off the top of your deadlift and possibly do the de-load as written. That will help from stalling too soon. Also, if it gets to the point where you can't keep up with adding 10lbs per week, you could add 5. Or you could do 5/5/5+ on week 1, skip deadlifting on week 2, and do 5/3/1+ on week 3.

Like I said, it's very flexible. It may take some trial and error to figure out, but 5/3/1 is probably the most versatile and easy to modify program possible.

Good luck.

I really appreciate the replies. Pissed it's taken me so long to log back in. Manic week at work.

elVarouza - If you remember I've had a cunt of a shoulder injury. I've been heavily massaging it and doing ROM exercises in every possible way. I'm thankful to say it feels so much better. But I've essentially made zero progress benching, still at 290x3.

press 95kg x3
    DL 230kgx 5
    I just squatted 240kg x 3

The BBB template caught my eye. Along with the 'big' assistant exercise he recommends after each main lift. I was thinking of swapping out front squats after DLing for a heavy triple LBBS or something.

I will have a look at the recommendations from you guys however, thanks.

starting strength coach development program
    That's still a pretty strong bench! I've been a little sidelined on bench progress as well due to a couple pec strains. Our deadlifts are close, I've pulled 240kgx3, but your squat is crazy strong! That's really sick progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast