starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I think I have most of my form down... would like to hear a coach's perspective:

http://youtu.be/UtFm9sjWZcs

It's a decent deadlift, but I'd like to see you set your back harder. You're flexible enough to have a pretty flat back without really trying, but that doesn't mean you don't need to squeeze the shit out of those important muscles that help you maintain a flat back under load. Watch your last two reps. See the low back rounding? That's what happens if you don't set properly.

Before you pull each rep, take a deep breath and squeeze your chest up as hard as you can. Try to point your nipples at the wall. Then pull.

P.S. Side boob at :42. Thanks for that.

Thanks for the feedback, Coach! From the way it sounds, I think I'm on the right path. I just need to be more aware of the slight back roundness as the set progresses, so I can maintain a flatter back. By the way if 100% is a "perfect deadlift", How much of it did I do correctly? (e.g., 70% or 80% or etc?) I think this will help me asses how much tweaking I need. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Horn View Post
    Try to point your nipples at the wall. Then pull.
    I'll use this technique tomorrow and experiment!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Horn View Post
    P.S. Side boob at :42. Thanks for that.
    Haha. I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. Hopefully we can catch that apparition again!

Quote Originally Posted by ayjay23 View Post
    By the way if 100% is a "perfect deadlift", How much of it did I do correctly? (e.g., 70% or 80% or etc?) I think this will help me asses how much tweaking I need.
    89.973%. This is an exact percentage of your deadlift correctness which I have carefully obtained by watching a single video of you from a fixed angle with plates covering my view of your legs while a man with tits repeatedly walks into frame distracting me and making me ponder the possibility that he has somehow found a fat-guy wormhole that allows him to time travel into different sections of deadlift form-check videos. Is it only this video? Will I see these man-boobs again? If not, does that make me happy or sad? So many questions, so few answers!

Just squeeze your chest up harder, dude.

This is the kind of precision that we all aspire to at the Starting Strength Forums. I concur with Mr. Horn.

This, folks, is why they call him The Legend.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, coach! I feel like such a success kid right now...