starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My press is going up uneven

Default My press is going up uneven

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    My last three overhead pressing sessions I have been doing the same weight. I failed on all of them, and during all of them the bar goes up uneven, at first (reps 1-3) its not noticable to the eye but to me it is. Then during the 4th & 5th reps the right side raises almost 2 inches faster. The first and second session when this happened I chalked it up just to bad recovery. Today though(being the 3rd session)I only did one set at the weight and noticed it happening again. So I decided to drop it 10lbs for the next two sets, what I noticed is its still happening. I even did rest pause presses, to make sure it wasn't that I was flaring my one elbow weird at the bottom of moving when I was utilizing the stretch reflex.

I should note that I do feel a pinch in the lateral head of my left deltoid when I squeeze at the top(nothing discomforting), and that my left shoulder is smaller than my right(I know perfect asymmetry is actually weird just stating). Should I drop the weight more or try again next session, but start 10 lbs lighter so I don't already have any fatigue set in, IE don't start at the weight I'm struggling then drop weight. Start with the lighter weight from the start, and see if the ascent is uneven.

Have you had a neck injury?

no, no injuries, why I ask

Because asymmetrical weakness in the absence of obvious injury is often neurological.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Because asymmetrical weakness in the absence of obvious injury is often neurological.
    Do you mean for the press in particular or for lifting in general?

For lifting in general, the pressing exercises in particular.

For lifting in general, the pressing exercises in particular.
    I venture into the realm of being called an idiot but I thought it was essentially normal to have some strength asymmetries. The idea that it indicates some neurological damage hits me as bizarre.

So what I just have to push harder with one side or you're saying its all in my head

I had the same issue with presses - intermittently. Didn't think too much of it. It didn't hurt. The chiropractor told me that my left shoulder was "out". After he pushed it back into position the problem went away - until my shoulder went out again - and again. I finally went to an orthopedic surgeon, got an arthrogram, and was diagnosed with a "high-grade partial-thickness tear of the supraspinatus tendon" and a "partial thickness tear of the subscapularis tendon" along with a "partial subluxation of the long head of the biceps tendon". Surgery is scheduled for this Friday. The surgeon says I'll be in a sling for three weeks and will have to abstain from upper body work for FOUR MONTHS.
    Rip, based on your experience, do you think that the surgeon is being overly conservative with the down time? I'm don't know how your rotator cuff injury compares with mine but I read in another post that you managed to recover from surgery much more quickly than your doctor anticipated. Any advice?

starting strength coach development program
    How does one go about fixing this or is there little that can be done about it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast