starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: regulating or auto-regulating

Default regulating or auto-regulating

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I don't know if this is a Great Idea or just the latest fad, but what are your thoughts, if any, on "auto-regulation"?

e.g. You're doing a few sets of five and hoping to get a new 5RM, but since you feel like a million dollars that moment, you pump out 2 extra reps for a 7RM on the last set.

or

You feel like shit that day, so your first set of five yields only 3 good reps. So you lower the weight 10 lbs on the next few sets.

To me it seems like this may allow you to go on a bit longer without deloading, at least in theory.

Doesn't sound as much like programmed training done this way. More like "exercise", or bad planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Doesn't sound as much like programmed training done this way. More like "exercise", or bad planning.
    What about in the former case, squeezing out a few more reps on the last set? This doesn't seem like it could possibly be detrimental to one's training, although I wouldn't go pinning much hope to my argument from ignorance.

That is kind of what Wendler recommends in 5-3-1. But he sets a minimum that you must hit, if you can do more then great. I've done 5-3-1 and it worked for me, whatever that's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Kovtunovich View Post
    What about in the former case, squeezing out a few more reps on the last set? This doesn't seem like it could possibly be detrimental to one's training
    Of course it's detrimental, because it loads up today's workout at the expense of Saturday's. And it certainly depends on whether you are a novice or an intermediate. Occasionally it's no big deal, but done on a regular basis it just reflects a poor handle on your numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Of course it's detrimental, because it loads up today's workout at the expense of Saturday's. And it certainly depends on whether you are a novice or an intermediate. Occasionally it's no big deal, but done on a regular basis it just reflects a poor handle on your numbers.
    Duly noted. DFWTP, in a nutshell.

Powerlifter Mike Tuchscherer advocates a system like this called Reactive Training; wrote a book on it.

The idea is that each workout day you train what your body is "ready for" that day. You also regulate the workout during the training.

Initially I think you would rate yourself subjectively.

Now he has a system called TRAC where you check your heartrate and some reaction times every day, enter this data into a website and it tells you want your system is up for that day.

That's fascinating. And he is very strong, so it must work.

John Broz uses a system similar to that for his lifters. But he says he doesnt start his guys out that way it took Pat I think 2 years before he could start training like that and show improvement.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, it wouldn't work for a "novice" or "intermediate" lifter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast