starting strength gym

Thread: FOREARM LENGTH & "Preventing Elbow Pain in the Squat"

Default FOREARM LENGTH & "Preventing Elbow Pain in the Squat"

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Regarding Nick Delgadillo's article today in the Training Log "Preventing Elbow Pain in the Squat"; what would be the training advice for someone with longer than normal forearms as pictured in SS vol3? (picture of the bald guy trying to press without starting the bar resting on the shoulder or the other example of the guy trying to rack a clean with long forearms). Having longer than normal forearms makes it difficult to get the grip narrow and bar low on the back.

Longer forearms will mean you need a wider grip than the short forearmed women pictured in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    Longer forearms will mean you need a wider grip than the short forearmed women pictured in the article.
    Yep. I'm 6'1" with long forearms, and I was having all sorts of frustrating issues with my squat on SSLP (used a very narrow grip), and then I saw Austin Baraki and he had me widen my grip by at least 3" on each side, and voila! Almost all issues with my squat were fixed!

I have long forearms and have been experiencing elbow pain. In the past I have tried a narrow grip and just aggravated my elbows. I had settled on a grip with my ring fingers on the markings in the middle of the bar knurls because any narrower caused pain.

After reading the article I tried narrowing my grip again to where my whole hands were just inside the markings. Unlike previous narrower grip attempts I actually concentrated on squeezing my upper back and keeping my elbows down as mentioned in the article. I have had two squat sessions since reading the article and making these changes and I have experienced much less pain and, interestingly, a squat that seemed smoother and easier.

I'm not sure about my forearm length, I think they average or a bit long. BUT I can 100% agree to what Culican said - I have had a narrow grip in the past, with problems, have widened it because I thought it'd be better for shoulders and elbows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    After reading the article I tried narrowing my grip again (...). Unlike previous narrower grip attempts I actually concentrated on squeezing my upper back and keeping my elbows down as mentioned in the article. I have had two squat sessions since reading the article and making these changes and I have experienced much less pain and, interestingly, a squat that seemed smoother and easier.
    +1.

Thank you, coach Nick for the wonderful article.
    I especially like the introduction, where you say that people who have read the books tend to make different ("new") mistakes. I'm definitely one of those overcorrection types. After reading the book, I "overcorrected" things that didn't need to be corrected, esp. in the squat =P

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    Unlike previous narrower grip attempts I actually concentrated on squeezing my upper back and keeping my elbows down as mentioned in the article. I have had two squat sessions since reading the article and making these changes and I have experienced much less pain and, interestingly, a squat that seemed smoother and easier.
    Exactly right. This was my experience and the experience of a bunch of my lifters as well.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypto View Post
    Thank you, coach Nick for the wonderful article.
    I especially like the introduction, where you say that people who have read the books tend to make different ("new") mistakes. I'm definitely one of those overcorrection types. After reading the book, I "overcorrected" things that didn't need to be corrected, esp. in the squat =P
    You're welcome, Krypto.