starting strength gym

Thread: When did you start olympic weightlifting

Default When did you start olympic weightlifting

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Just curious, when did you guys start OL? I'm getting more and more interested in OL, everything about it fascinates me. I'm trying to figure out when the right time to start would be. I've been lifting for 10 months now, I think I've built a decent strength foundation (385/240/410 one rep max for squat/bench/deadlift). I'm currently doing the Texas Method (just started this week), and I'm learning how to power clean.

I started with only the meager capability of snatching 55lbs and C&J-ing 75. Actually, I worked up to that over a 10-week course. So go ahead and start now if you are interested.

I started the actual weightlifting movements this past Monday. Or at least I started a dedicated weightlifting program on Monday.

I started doing power cleans on Starting Strength. Then I tried power snatches. I had about the same numbers as you do on the powerlifts. I could power clean around 200lbs and power snatch 135lbs. Neither of which translated to the actual full versions of the lifts. When I started my program I had to start with a 95lbs snatch and a 135lbs clean to do them correctly.

I slowly started adding the full versions of the snatch and clean&jerk into my programming. I found that trying to do both powerlifting and weightlifting together was difficult. So I made the swap.

If you're interested in weightlifting I'd recommend stopping the power versions and start learning the full versions of the lift before you get too many bad habits. It has taken me a while to get used to the change. I've still got a long way to go in the way of technique, but it has gotten better.