starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool Old Photo - Norbert Schemansky

Default Cool Old Photo - Norbert Schemansky

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Norbert Schemansky is 43 years old in this shot and split cleaning 365 pounds in an out of the way corner at a YMCA. He medaled in four Olympics between 1948 and 1964. This came from the UCLA Library Digital Collections. Thanks to Sarah La Rosa for making me aware of the photo archive.

NOOOOORB!!!!

Love the chucks too. He and Grippaldi just used to amaze me. Not that it ever got to me actually trying the goddam fast twitch explosive magic they could pull off with the iron. Even as a teen my shoulders were tight motherfuckers.

That is a great photo.

Love this. Any more?

Needs to work on racking the bar. I get yelled at when I catch it in my hands like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Longley View Post
    Love this. Any more?
    If you go to the archive and look up keywords like "bodybuilding" you will find a bunch of old photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    Needs to work on racking the bar. I get yelled at when I catch it in my hands like that.
    Seriously? I hope you're just kidding and I'm misreading your post...I believe Mr. Schemansky's competive accomplishments indicate that whatever form he uses, it's correct.

For those not familiar with Mr. Schemansky's accomplishments:

Norbert Schemansky (born May 30, 1924 in Detroit, Michigan) was an Olympic gold medalist weightlifter for the United States.

Schemansky was the first weightlifter in history to earn four Olympic medals, despite missing the 1956 Olympic Games due to back problems. Norbert was a 3 time World Weightlifting Championships gold medalist and a Pan American Games gold medalist in addition to numerous podium finishes.

His weightlifting career spanned over 2 decades from 1947 to his retirement in 1972. Schemansky is widely considered the greatest US Olympic weightlifter of all time.

Schemansky was inducted into the International Weightlifting Federation Hall of fame in 1997.

Weightlifting achievements
    Olympic champion (1952);
    Silver medalist in Olympic Games (1948);
    Bronze medalist in Olympic Games (1960 and 1964);
    World champion (1951, 1953, and 1954);
    1955 Pan American Games heavyweight champion;
    Silver medalist at Senior World Championships (1947, 1962, and 1963);
    Bronze medalist at Senior World Championships (1964).

The thing I like best about Norbert Schemansky is how he looks like every high school principal ever from the neck up.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Leppo View Post
    Seriously? I hope you're just kidding and I'm misreading your post...I believe Mr. Schemansky's competive accomplishments indicate that whatever form he uses, it's correct.

For those not familiar with Mr. Schemansky's accomplishments:

Norbert Schemansky (born May 30, 1924 in Detroit, Michigan) was an Olympic gold medalist weightlifter for the United States.

Schemansky was the first weightlifter in history to earn four Olympic medals, despite missing the 1956 Olympic Games due to back problems. Norbert was a 3 time World Weightlifting Championships gold medalist and a Pan American Games gold medalist in addition to numerous podium finishes.

His weightlifting career spanned over 2 decades from 1947 to his retirement in 1972. Schemansky is widely considered the greatest US Olympic weightlifter of all time.

Schemansky was inducted into the International Weightlifting Federation Hall of fame in 1997.

Weightlifting achievements
    Olympic champion (1952);
    Silver medalist in Olympic Games (1948);
    Bronze medalist in Olympic Games (1960 and 1964);
    World champion (1951, 1953, and 1954);
    1955 Pan American Games heavyweight champion;
    Silver medalist at Senior World Championships (1947, 1962, and 1963);
    Bronze medalist at Senior World Championships (1964).
    Wow. Yeah, I was kidding.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Leppo View Post
    He was kidding, but to be fair, there are some really strong guys who get really good at doing things wrong (i.e. sub-optimally), but have success anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast