• starting strength seminar december 2024
    Age 25
    Weight 108 kg
    Current squat 5rep max 137kg
    Iv deloaded a week ago from my pr of 152kg 3x5
    Deadlift 145kg deload from 165kg
    Bench 86 kg
    Press 54 kg

I'm going to be participating in a 12 mile obstacle course run on the 8th of september. I'm doing the starting strength novice program at the moment how and when should I stop and train cardio for this run?
    I am aware my lifts are gonna go south rapidly and this is a 1 time thing done as a bit of fun with friends how should I proceed? I thought two weeks away I would start running a lot to prepare I'm a former runner anyway and have completed a couple of half marathons when I was younger with little focused training but I was much lighter then. So any help training suggestions appreciated.

How much/long do you (or can you) run now?

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    How much/long do you (or can you) run now?
    No idea to be honest. I haven't run any sort of distance for two years. Have played badminton once a month for an hour since January. That's about the limits of my cardio

I'm assuming it's Tough Mudder? Well, the good news is that it's probably going to be a lot of walking and running, and not just running. The better news is that you only have five weeks, so can't really get serious about it. Maybe just start some running (slowly) on your off days, which might be two or three runs a week, and see how that goes. Five weeks isn't a lot of time to build mileage from nothing.

Your badminton cardio will carry you through for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    I'm assuming it's Tough Mudder? Well, the good news is that it's probably going to be a lot of walking and running, and not just running. The better news is that you only have five weeks, so can't really get serious about it. Maybe just start some running (slowly) on your off days, which might be two or three runs a week, and see how that goes. Five weeks isn't a lot of time to build mileage from nothing.
    It is tough mudder and just want to finish really

Quote Originally Posted by afatgoat View Post
    Your badminton cardio will carry you through for sure.
    Hope so. I think the on of way it will be run will help

from what I've heard of TM there is also a lot of standing around waiting for others to complete the obstacles so you should get plenty of recovery along the way

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan3088 View Post
    Hope so. I think the on of way it will be run will help
    Was being facetious, sorry. It's as simple as not giving up. There's no one obstacle tough mudder has that you can't get through on perseverance alone.