starting strength gym

Thread: Why do we lift on firm surfaces?

Default Why do we lift on firm surfaces?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Rip,

First time caller, long time listener.

In your books and on the site, here and there I see comments regarding the importance of lifting on a “firm surface”.

We’ve just started SS with some friends, using a Dojo in its off-peak hours.
    We’re lifting on what’s called Tatami mats.
    They’re basically designed for throwing sports like Judo, Aikido etc.
    They feel very firm under foot. For example, we run, jump, and do gymnastics movements on them, and there feels to be no increased risk of ankle roll etc.

However, we didn’t want to assume that us lifting on a surface that is not strictly wooden, concrete, or ‘gym mat’ etc is ok.

So, it would be great if you could share your thoughts on whether the tatami mats are ok, and why, or why not?

Greatly appreciate your time

Cheers

Karina

Do they feel as firm under-foot as concrete or wood?

One word: Plywood.

The best I can describe is that it's like a commercial short thread carpet that's been laid directly on a hard wood floor with no underlay. They feel very firm, but I would feel comfortable falling on them without it hurting too much.

If you want to lift heavy weights, the surface you are standing on must not absorb any of the force you generate. It must all be transmitted to the load you lift. The heavier the load relative to your absolute strength, the less room for slop within the force transmission process.

Sensei will not be happy when your 225 pound deadlifts begin leaving permenant marks on the mat. Even more so with 315. The pressure of the plates on a small point is not like how feet plant.

Thanks a bunch Rip, can't say enough how much I appreciate being able to tap into knowledge like this.

So, it looks like we're gonna definitely need to resolve our surface issue.

Your book goes into how to build a lifting platform.
    However, we have a few barriers. I feel the full lifting platform may not work.
    - Cost, we're just a bunch of college friends lifting
    - Our equipment has to be stored away each session, storage space is limited, and often the packing away needs to be done by one person
    - Our workout space is somewhat limited as well.

Having now read up on platform construction, a lot of the specifications seem to be more for reducing bumper plate wear, noise, etc, something we're not as concerned about. Therefore if our only goal is to lift safely, is this specification below an option?

Central "standing section" is separate from rubber mats.
    - Mats are laid "free" either side of ply
    - Ply vertically flush with the mats to avoid trip hazard.
    - Ply laid right where 4 Tatami mats meet so as to ensure maximum stability.

Central "standing section" a smaller size of 2'6" x 6'?
    - wide enough for the widest stance
    - long enough for a reasonable walk out from the squat racks, that would also be on the platform

Single x 1/2" plank of ply (flush with rubber mats)
    - instead of the 3 x 3/4" screwed together

Sorry if this is asking too much, I understand you're busy. Much appreciate your time already given.

Cheers

Tig

starting strength coach development program
    Those mats are pretty firm, but i wouldn't lift on anything softer than horse mats