starting strength gym

Thread: Tweaked my neck pressing, now it hurts to swallow

mikeylikey Guest

Default Tweaked my neck pressing, now it hurts to swallow

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    For whatever reason, my press did not go well yesterday. I got 5,4,3 @ 127.5 lbs. Not a lot of weight around here but it would have been a PR.

Anyway, on that 3rd set, trying to grind out one more rep, I think I tweaked something in my neck. Didn't hurt right away but within a couple of hours my neck was very stiff and sore, and now it actually hurts to swallow. Not like a sore throat hurts, more like a muscular pain, between my larynx and my spine.

I'm not so much worried about it as I am intrigued, as this is a new one for me. Anybody else ever had this happen?

I guess in theory it could have happened deadlifting too, as a side note.

Hi Mike,

it happened to me, I think actually more than once. I also had big trouble getting up in the morning. No, not in the usual sense, but literally; I had to put a hand round the back of my head in order to lift.

Nothing to worry about, just leave it alone for a couple of days, and when you exercise let the pain be your guide.

Hope this helps.

IPB

Yep. More than once as well. When it still hurts on the next pressing session it became pretty obvious why. It'll feel OK for the first few sets and then on a set that's getting near to failure and form is sloppy, I was kind of shoving my chin forward and overextending in a desperate attempt to get under the bar.