starting strength gym

Thread: More Groin Questions!

Default More Groin Questions!

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've had a little discomfort when warming up for squats in my right groin. The feeling would go away once I reached my top warm ups and working weight. I warm up with a shoulder width stance and move my feet out a bit more with each set. I'm 6'4, long legs, 250lbs. Today however, that feeling did not go away causing the weight to feel ungodly heavy and now I have an ever so slight burning sensation running down my inner thigh halfway between my groin and knee.

Here's last week's Intensity Day squats which were pain free

And here's todays Intensity Day squats, with 390x1, 390x1, and 405x1

On vacation this week, so it seems as good a time as any to take a week off from squatting. Anything you see wrong with the form that could be causing this or how to attack the problem next week if the pain re-emerges would be much appreciated.

Look at your elbows on all these squats. They collapse, your upper back loses tightness, low back loosens, knees cave, groin gets yanked. Stance may be a bit wide too, can't tell much from this angle. Look at your knees drift forward as you panic on the way up under 405. Was that the rep that hurt?

The 405 that I bailed last week? No, I had my normal discomfort when hitting the hole warming up with 45, 95, and 135 but the groin felt fine once I hit higher weights and no problems afterwards. It wasn't until today that the sensation lingered to my first working set and a bit afterwards on the way home. Although now it feels fine and can squat down without feeling anything. The only way I can tell it's there is if I lay on my back, bring my right knee to my chest, then lay my leg down to the right side. It's not painful at all, just feels kinda sore and a bit "weak".

Front angle from this week's volyume day
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfq4paF10Sw&t=34

Elbows are loosening up the whole column. Fix that, and narrow your stance just a bit to take some of the stress off the adductors for a few workouts. Back off about 10% when you get back to teach your elbows and chest to stay up and tight.