starting strength gym

Thread: Sore Deltoids from Bench Press

Default Sore Deltoids from Bench Press

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey Rip, I noticed after benching heavy like your supposed to do in SS, my deltoids [front of my shoulders] are sore after. Which I think makes it harder when I got overhead press day because thats the muscle you use. Its not like a tight pain or anything just a sore feeling. My bench is quite a bit stronger then my OHP buts its getting better. I also might be entering my first comp in a month.

Wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by DariusM View Post
    Hey Rip, I noticed after benching heavy like your supposed to do in SS, my deltoids [front of my shoulders] are sore after. Which I think makes it harder when I got overhead press day because thats the muscle you use. Its not like a tight pain or anything just a sore feeling. My bench is quite a bit stronger then my OHP buts its getting better. I also might be entering my first comp in a month.
    Just to avoid confusion, Rip isnt being a dick, if you notice you didnt ask a question but just made a string of statements.

Try again with a ?. If not... also congrats.

Do your legs also get sore when you squat?

wow im a dumbass. let me rephrase this. Is it bad if the front of my shoulders get sore from benching? I find this effects my OHP, how can I keep progressing if im never fully recovered? Should I take an extra day off to recover better? I get around 4-5 thousand calories a day.

Soreness indicates absolutely nothing except that you have done some eccentric work that you're not adapted to. I don't know where your soreness is, i.e. you may be feeling an injury and not mere soreness. But the fact that you're sore doesn't mean that you can't progress. Do you actually think that advanced lifters don't train or set PRs when they're sore?

The soreness is just in the front of my shoulders, and it always heals so im pretty sure its not an injury. I didnt know that actually, I thought if your chest was sore then its gonna be weaker then when its not sore.

starting strength coach development program
    Your deltoid muscle bellies should not always be "sore" after you train, unless you constantly vary the reps.