starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to program the OHP, issues with lumbago/disc related sciatic

Default How to program the OHP, issues with lumbago/disc related sciatic

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Dear Mark.

For about 2 months ago I tweaked my back during a max effort squat, This was the first time I lifted heavy with belt and I assume that I used it incorrectly by pushing my abs out against the belt.(Like mentioned not to do at page 66 SS 3rd edition)

Anyway I did not feel anything during or right after the lift, but the next morning my quads very extremely sour and it was a pain in the ass to get up from bed. Next morning the sourness in my quads was gone, but I had a lot of stiffness in my back.

After that tweak I have been having morning issues with a stiff back that goes away after a couple of hours/or by doing some mobility work for t-spine.

I restrained (My back did not snap, I just felt that I strained a muscle a bit, and I could still finish all my squats) my back about a month afterwards during my squat warm-up, this was mainly cause to not paining attention to form(one contributing thing was that I lifted in the morning instead of as usual, early lunch or in the afternoon, perhaps I was to sleepy or just still stiff, who knows).

For some weeks I stared to feel a light molding pain in my left ankle and a bit of stiffness in my left gluteus. I then started with smr for my piriformis, QL, and my gluteus with quite good but not consistent pain relief.

Three weeks ago with a “Naprapath”. He told me that my discs are ok, no bulging disc or herniated disc, but that the disc had previously been putting pressure on my sciatic nerve that now had become triggered.

He told me to back off from heavy squats, deadlifts and most of all heavy OHP.

According to him snatch and clean was ok(I don’t know why, perhaps he was referring to "time under load")

Last week I had an appointment with and orthopedist. He told me that the nerves around L5 was irritated, advised spinal decompression and 2-4 weeks of NSAID. He did say a thing about not lifting

What about the OHP,

I do feel that I have some issues with this lift.(I lean back too much during high rep(2-3+reps) high load) I assume that this is to weak core/weak abs like mentioned in the book. Your recommendation is to strengthen them with Roman chair sit-ups. I do not have access to this equipment so first question would be what those could be replaced with. Secondly I have some issues also with tight psoas, and as far as I know this means that crunch/sit-up type of ab work out would not be so beneficial as long as my hips/psoas are tight. Does this mean that I am better of just doing some types of planks?

What about the OHP?

Should I
    1) Do high rep (10-15) presses for several sets
    2) Change to Push press with a load that I could normal handle without the “push”,
    3) Skip the press? If so what should I do instead?

I already bench once a week, the same with high incline seated press.

Thank you for your time

Regards
    Daniel

Gosh, I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Gosh, I don't know.
    Too bad. Seems I have find out myself. I will just do 4-5x10 ohp for a while and see how it feels. For abs I will stick with planks for the time beeing. I assume that this is as stupid question: your rehab "protocol" involves high rep deadlift, squat and hanging spinal decompression. From your books and from all the mtrl on the site it is quite obvius that you rate the conventional deadlift way higher than the sumo stance deadlift. I am lifting sumo. Would the high reps sumo also work as rehab? Or better to stick to conventinal. Again thank you for your time.

Gosh, I don't know.
    Good grief, I can see why. But why do you do you still do it? Wouldn't you rather go fishing or something? I recommend a cup of coffee and a packet of Tim Tams.

) Do high rep (10-15) presses for several sets
    2) Change to Push press with a load that I could normal handle without the “push”,
    3) Skip the press? If so what should I do instead
    1. If your abs are weak, what will high rep work do for them other than practicing form? (which will be pointless if you can't keep tight under a heavier weight)
    2. If your abs are weak and causing you to lean back too much, why would increasing the weight with a push press help?
    3. Reverse-band snatches

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post
    1. If your abs are weak, what will high rep work do for them other than practicing form? (which will be pointless if you can't keep tight under a heavier weight)
    2. If your abs are weak and causing you to lean back too much, why would increasing the weight with a push press help?
    3. Reverse-band snatches
    Thank you for your input!

Reverse-band snatches. Never heard of these? How are they performed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.City View Post

1. If your abs are weak, what will high rep work do for them other than practicing form? (which will be pointless if you can't keep tight under a heavier weight) Nothing !
    2. If your abs are weak and causing you to lean back too much, why would increasing the weight with a push press help? Would help me to move away from the heavy first part of rom, but this is not the best solution.
    3. Reverse-band snatches, I just googled them never seen them, seems like some kind of elitefts travis marsh kind of lift!
    Seems logical that the best I can do would be to work on my abs, and deload my ohp and keep it for 3x5!

Get your situps up to 200 kg.

Get your situps up to 200 kg.
    Bw included? PS:To all members posting, please keep in mind that not all of the ops are native english speakers, ironical messages/irony seldom works when the other person on the line dont "think" in the same language. DS

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by sunetdanne View Post
    What about the OHP,

I do feel that I have some issues with this lift.(I lean back too much during high rep(2-3+reps) high load)
    Have you considered, not leaning back? If you are doing a maximal effort - of course there's going to be some ugliness.
    Why does it even bother you, are you hurt, did you plateau, if its working and your making progress, just go with the flow and do the program. It will eventually sort it self out as you get overall stronger and more proficient at the OHP.

I assume that this is to weak core/weak abs like mentioned in the book. Your recommendation is to strengthen them with Roman chair sit-ups. I do not have access to this equipment so first question would be what those could be replaced with.
    you don't have the equipment to do straight leg situpps?

Secondly I have some issues also with tight psoas, and as far as I know this means that crunch/sit-up type of ab work out would not be so beneficial as long as my hips/psoas are tight.
    What does that mean, you have an issue. Is your psoas hurt, are you experiencing back pain, you can't, for some religious reason do hipflexor stretches?

Does this mean that I am better of just doing some types of planks?
    No!

What about the OHP?

Should I
    1) Do high rep (10-15) presses for several sets
    3) Skip the press? If so what should I do instead?

I already bench once a week, the same with high incline seated press.
    1) continue with the program and be more aware and mindful of your technique.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast