starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grip Failure

Default Grip Failure

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I find grip to be the hardest part of the deadlift for me, perhaps short fingers. Last week my supinated hand opened at about knee level, and I failed the 3rd set.
    I use double over hand for as long as I can, usually the first working set (last time was 137kg). After that I supinate my left and continue.
    My question, if I use over-under for all work sets is the 3rd set supposed to be easier? Does using double-over until "failure" set up failure in the next sets?

I don't believe i'm strong enough to use straps yet (though I have them for snatch pulls and such).

On a side note,
    The books are great, I don't know people can go on training without them. And what really puzzles me is when people know that the material is out there and rather disregard it.

Thanks!

If you have short fingers and you're not interested in competing, go ahead and start using straps. There is no reason to let an unsolvable grip problem interfere with gaining back strength.

Quote Originally Posted by bandego View Post
    I find grip to be the hardest part of the deadlift for me, perhaps short fingers. Last week my supinated hand opened at about knee level, and I failed the 3rd set.
    I use double over hand for as long as I can, usually the first working set (last time was 137kg). After that I supinate my left and continue.
    My question, if I use over-under for all work sets is the 3rd set supposed to be easier? Does using double-over until "failure" set up failure in the next sets?
    Why are you doing more than one working set on your deadlift?

3 work sets of deadlifts?

You should also grow some type of facial hair, never shave any portion of your body (unless your involved in a combative type sport), and never read any bodybuilding magazines.

I failed the 3rd set.
    My question, if I use over-under for all work sets is the 3rd set supposed to be easier?
    The books are great, I don't know people can go on training without them. And what really puzzles me is when people know that the material is out there and rather disregard it.
    lol

I tried some wrist curls with 20 Kg dumbbells 3x25 for each hand. Try pull ups and chin ups. Pick up the plates with between thumb and fingers a few times, squeeze a few soup cans till you can put a dent in them. There are plenty of exercises you can do to improve grip strength.

Quote Originally Posted by bandego View Post
    You know there's only one work set of deadlifts, right?

I don't know what program you are on, but you are talking about working 3 worksets, which is not Starting Strength in any case. Actually I don't know of too many programmes that use deadlift for sets across. So if you are doing SS, it might just be a question of not having read the small print.

starting strength coach development program
    Are you using chalk? If you're not yet, it will probably help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast