starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift has Stalled - Haltings and Rack Pulls

Default Deadlift has Stalled - Haltings and Rack Pulls

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm 59 at 5'10" and 175lbs. I've decided after a month or so that my DL has stalled at 330lbs. Last week I did haltings and this week I'll do Rack Pulls. I was thinking of doing two weeks of H and RP and then try the deadlift again but was wondering if others have adopted a specific cycle that has worked better? Perhaps four weeks of H and RP and then a deadlift session. Or perhaps this is very person specific and you just have to experiment to see what works for you.

Oh by the way I am still working on gaining weight. I'd like to get to at least 190lbs but I'm trying to manage my pre-diabetes at the same time I'm gaining weight. It makes it an interesting journey in food.

I do 2 sets of 6-8 strict RDLs with about 80% of my 5-rep working weight after I deadlift, as an assistance exercise. I'm still gaining. Might be worth a try. I'm on a 3 week cycle, though, and only gaining about 5 lbs every 3 weeks.

What frequency were you deadlifting before you stalled?

Quote Originally Posted by Deepsky3539 View Post
    What frequency were you deadlifting before you stalled?
    Once a week. I went from about 130lbs DL when I started over a year ago to 330lbs now.

That pretty damned impressive Steve. Nice work. Only thing I can say is that you seem a bit light for a 330 puller even at 5'10". You should easily be able to get to 200#. Up your calories and go more paleo if your concerned about blood sugar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Deepsky3539 View Post
    That pretty damned impressive Steve. Nice work. Only thing I can say is that you seem a bit light for a 330 puller even at 5'10". You should easily be able to get to 200#. Up your calories and go more paleo if your concerned about blood sugar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree I need to gain weight. I'm eating a ketongenic diet for the last say 5 weeks and the blood sugars are coming down. But you are correct I need to eat more.

After my first year I reached 315 at 5'10", 215, at age 67. It took me 2 years to reach 340. I'm pressing toward 405. It may take me a while. Don't get discouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    After my first year I reached 315 at 5'10", 215, at age 67. It took me 2 years to reach 340. I'm pressing toward 405. It may take me a while. Don't get discouraged.
    You, sir, are an inspiration.

Thanks Carson!

starting strength coach development program
    That's good stuff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast