starting strength gym

Thread: Pain in radius (?) while snatching - possible stress fracture?

Default Pain in radius (?) while snatching - possible stress fracture?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I've had this issue for a while. It went away for some time, but has recently come back worse than ever.

Whenever I snatch more than 50kg, I get a strong flash of pain in my left forearm, and I don't know if this is accurate, but it feels as if the pain is actually in the radius bone, about 4 inches from the base of my thumb.

I have narrowed my grip to combat this, and now it's about as narrow as I can go while still hitting the correct spot (i.e. not hitting the pubic bone). The problem still persists.

Weirdly enough, the most severe pain occurs when I drop the weight, or to be more accurate, once the weight comes off my hands. I've always had weirdly painful wrists, and as such I use heavy wraps for basically everything that puts weight on top of my hand, but as I described, the pain isn't really in the wrist join, it feels like it's in the bone of my left arm. Once it starts, it can however spiral a bit out of control and potentially make even front squatting difficult.

Both my left and write wrists look identical (as confirmed by a number of people, including a WL coach), but the pain only occurs in my left arm. This problem also ONLY occurs when snatching, not during any kind of press or jerk.

I know you guys can't really diagnose anything from all the way over then in 'Murica, but I wanted to ask anyway in case you guys had seen something like this before.

Thanks!

I have not seen this before, but perhaps others have. How long has this been going on? Could potentially be a nerve thing, too.

About 3 weeks now? But like I said, I've had this before, but it sort of went away for a while. Very strange. Maybe it is a nerve thing. That is one area about which I know absolutely nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatamon View Post
    So I've had this issue for a while. It went away for some time, but has recently come back worse than ever.

Whenever I snatch more than 50kg, I get a strong flash of pain in my left forearm, and I don't know if this is accurate, but it feels as if the pain is actually in the radius bone, about 4 inches from the base of my thumb.

I have narrowed my grip to combat this, and now it's about as narrow as I can go while still hitting the correct spot (i.e. not hitting the pubic bone). The problem still persists.

Weirdly enough, the most severe pain occurs when I drop the weight, or to be more accurate, once the weight comes off my hands. I've always had weirdly painful wrists, and as such I use heavy wraps for basically everything that puts weight on top of my hand, but as I described, the pain isn't really in the wrist join, it feels like it's in the bone of my left arm. Once it starts, it can however spiral a bit out of control and potentially make even front squatting difficult.

Both my left and write wrists look identical (as confirmed by a number of people, including a WL coach), but the pain only occurs in my left arm. This problem also ONLY occurs when snatching, not during any kind of press or jerk.

I know you guys can't really diagnose anything from all the way over then in 'Murica, but I wanted to ask anyway in case you guys had seen something like this before.

Thanks!
    Sounds like Intersection Syndrome.....look it up.

Looked it up, and it sure sounds like it to me. Is this a "go to the doctor" situation?