starting strength gym

Thread: Quick light day question

Default Quick light day question

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    M, 28 yo, 6', 226 lbs, SS LP, new to advanced novice training

In PPST3, it says to use 60-80% of your first workout that week for your light squat day with advanced novice programming. I've read lots of opinions on which percent to use and when, but I was wondering if a coach could guide me with that decision. 60-80% is a fairly wide range I've discovered. I'll be going off of 305 if that helps.

Thanks in advance for your time

What is the purpose of light day? (Hint.)

Ah dang it, I see the date in that post was from just a couple weeks ago. Sorry for not looking more carefully before asking. Thanks so much for helping me anyway. I understand what to do now.

When you folks are respectful, we live to serve. Even if you're a little lazy. As long as you're not TOOOOO lazy.

Ok ^^

I appreciate you guys so freaking much. Thank you for all that you do for us plebs.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    What is the purpose of light day? (Hint.)
    I recently experienced shoulder bursitis due to a range of stupid behaviors--attempting to learn snatching without a coach, emphasizing benching over pressing, and not doing my chin ups.

Now that I learned my place, I'm wondering, since I'm back to doing an LP with just the standing press to after a long break, can I add a light day a la advanced novice squats to extend the amount of time I can progress the press with an LP?

I'm thinking something like:

Monday and Friday press heavy 3x5, Wednesday press light (70%? 80%?) and do chin ups.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by beefcake99 View Post
    I recently experienced shoulder bursitis due to a range of stupid behaviors--attempting to learn snatching without a coach, emphasizing benching over pressing, and not doing my chin ups.

Now that I learned my place, I'm wondering, since I'm back to doing an LP with just the standing press to after a long break, can I add a light day a la advanced novice squats to extend the amount of time I can progress the press with an LP?

I'm thinking something like:

Monday and Friday press heavy 3x5, Wednesday press light (70%? 80%?) and do chin ups.

What do you think?
    No benching at all now? Is your shoulder that fucked up?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    No benching at all now? Is your shoulder that fucked up?
    I'm conservatively following Rip's advice to do 2 months of press only, followed by 1 month 2:1 press to bench, then 1:1 bench to press. Might be wrong on that, or maybe that was for a situation where the context difference escaped me.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by beefcake99 View Post
    I'm conservatively following Rip's advice to do 2 months of press only, followed by 1 month 2:1 press to bench, then 1:1 bench to press. Might be wrong on that, or maybe that was for a situation where the context difference escaped me.
    I don't know the context of that discussion but you didn't mention it before. If Rip suggested it, it was probably a good idea. (Note to all readers: GIVE US CONTEXT)

But yes, if you're pressing 3x/week, and not benching at all, you'll need to add a light day in there at some point to keep the progression. Assuming you're doing 3x5 on Monday and Friday and adding weight each time, I'd look at something like: on Wednesday, do 85% of Monday's work for 3 sets of 4 reps. Start adding weight in small increments (1.5-2.5 lbs) a week before you need to.