starting strength gym

Thread: Elbows at beginning of press

Default Elbows at beginning of press

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Last week I noticed a discrepancy in my elbow position when I began the press. I first grip the bar at arm's length. With arms out full, I noticed that my medial left elbow (or the "inside" of the elbow) faced my right arm. My medial right elbow, however, was facing close to straight up (about 70% rotation). I chose to adjust my right arm, rotating the upper arm from the shoulder, until my right elbow mirrored my left elbow. It took some concentration to maintain this, and it seemed to tighten things up considerably as well, so I went with it. The one thing I noticed was that when I got to my work set, I didn't lose the weight forward of my COG, which I usually tend to do, but seemed to keep it moving vertically better than normal.

Based on results, I seem to have done the right thing. However, on the chance I got away with something I shouldn't have, I ask whether any of you have seen similar elbow misalignment, and if you think the correction I made makes sense.

Thanks.

Brent Carter is offline Owner, Starting Strength Dallas
    Starting Strength Coach

It is normal for one shoulder to be tighter than the other. Cueing "elbows tucked in" almost always fixes uneven elbow positions.