starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hook grip for deadlifts

Default hook grip for deadlifts

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Was doing power cleans tonight with the hook grip and had someone suggest using it for deadlifts to me. The guy is pretty strong and does seem to know what he's talking about. I haven't seen him deadlift but he definitely squats properly and cleans as well.

Is this a sound suggestion, how much can be deadlifted with a hook grip? I'm currently doing 155kg for 5 reps with a mixed grip and dont have grip issues so dont know if theres much point in switching?

It's a sound suggestion, if you can get used to it, but it's also a preference thing. Some people like to alternate, some like to hook. I do my work sets with a hook grip because I don't like to alternate, for example.
    Last edited by hollismb; 08-15-2014 at 03:06 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=velJLx0qyxI#t=72

1st lift is 390kg with hook grip - less stress on biceps than mixed grip but hard on thumbs!

I pull with a hook grip having switched a few months back due to grip problems. My deadlift isn't very good, but I don't have grip problems anymore. Wolf primarily uses hook too.

I find that two wraps of sports tape on my thumbs makes a big difference in comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelB View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=velJLx0qyxI#t=72

1st lift is 390kg with hook grip - less stress on biceps than mixed grip but hard on thumbs!
    Yeah it was the thumb thing that made me question it really. But thats a big ass weight so the guy wasnt talking bull then.
    Hmm think I'll try a few next week and see how it feels

Quote Originally Posted by mkgillman View Post
    I pull with a hook grip having switched a few months back due to grip problems. My deadlift isn't very good, but I don't have grip problems anymore. Wolf primarily uses hook too.

I find that two wraps of sports tape on my thumbs makes a big difference in comfort.
    Yup. Athletic tape makes a huge difference. I go loosely around the joint, also about twice around, so it still bends well, then do another layer around the tip of the thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_93 View Post
    Yeah it was the thumb thing that made me question it really. But thats a big ass weight so the guy wasnt talking bull then.
    Hmm think I'll try a few next week and see how it feels
    Try it on your warmup sets first, since it takes some getting used to. If you decide you like it, and once you get used to it, just pull your heaviest warmup, and your workset with it, so you're still working your grip on the other sets. It's doing RDLs where the thumb really gets achy for me, since there's no unloading of the thumb between reps.
    Last edited by hollismb; 08-15-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Yup. Awesome idea. I certainly can't prove it, but I think a lot of mysterious SI joint & QL pain in lifters is the result of "windmilling" caused by a mixed grip.

If you hook properly, it doesn't hurt. Read this fantastic article:
    http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...-relationship/

Most changes need some adaptation. You might take some time to learn it properly and using more weight with it

Will grab myself some tape then and use it on a few warm up sets monday to see what it feels like

starting strength coach development program
    I prefer to wrap it fairly tight before my warm ups as I find it stretches out as the weight goes up, but just my preference. I don't tape the tips as it isn't usapl legal and now I have very odd calluses and the thumbprint thing on my phone doesn't recognize me.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast