starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often do powerlifters die of heart attacks?

Default How often do powerlifters die of heart attacks?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I was watching a documentary on utube and at least 2 of the powerlifters have now died from heartattacks, that is what you get for being fat. what is the point of working out of you are going to look like a fat guy.

What's the point of working out if you're going to be a skinny pussy who's still going to die from heart disease anyway?

Judging other people for their life decisions is something I don't want to get into that much around here, but you must understand that these things are multifactorial. At high levels of "sport", if you consider powerlifting a sport, almost no one is obese except in the super heavy weight divisions. Do you think powerlifting made them this way or that, perhaps, they were already obese but liked powerlifting? Fact is, some people might have different values than you and that's okay. Also, obesity doesn't cause heart attacks. It's merely a symptom that frequently (but not always) presents alongside underlying pathology.
    Last edited by Jordan Feigenbaum; 06-03-2013 at 07:33 AM.

who was talking about skinny people, are you really that insecure? sound like you are overcompensating, i would rather be that 6'4" 200lb skinny guy over a 400lb dough boy. fatter is not better. lets stay on topic and talk about the fatasses, powerlifting is the only sport where you can be proud to have a stomach and be fat. enjoy your heart attacks, at least skinny won't die from them, fat people are unhealther across all categories.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Smith View Post
    I was watching a documentary on utube and at least 2 of the powerlifters have now died from heartattacks, that is what you get for being fat. what is the point of working out of you are going to look like a fat guy.
    This anecdote is meaningless. If, hypothetically, 2 powerlifters out of ten thousand have died from a heart attack, but 20 marathon runners out of ten thousand have also died of a heart attack, then you might conclude that powerlifting is 10x better than marathon running in terms of fatal heart attacks. But this would be a meaningless conclusion too.

I suspect that a controlled experiment or a well done statistical observation would be very hard to do. There are a lot of variables in the statement, "that guy is a powerlifter". Jordan can work on this in his copious spare time.

For whats its worth, Ive always advocated that practical science is done using the "beyond reasonable doubt" but you live your life by common sense.

Its very frustrating but you only get to do the experiment on yourself once.

I thought Mark told you not to post again until you've read the book.

Gosh I think I've heard of more marathoners dying of heart attacks than powerlifters. Not that this means anything, but the marathon isn't a particularly heart-healthy sport for anyone.

I just love googling powerlifting powerlifter deaths heart attack any combo of those words in google and reading the results of the deaths, so many fat slobs dying, but they are still in denial because lifting strong is what matters, nevermind they look like a fat slob.

what's the name of the documentary?

who was talking about skinny people, are you really that insecure? sound like you are overcompensating, i would rather be that 6'4" 200lb skinny guy over a 400lb dough boy. fatter is not better. lets stay on topic and talk about the fatasses, powerlifting is the only sport where you can be proud to have a stomach and be fat. enjoy your heart attacks, at least skinny won't die from them, fat people are unhealther across all categories.
    Definitely. I'm a total slob and really unhealthy. There are lots of sports where you can be fat and also be an elite athlete, especially if your definition of fat or obese has anything to do with BMI or body fat. Skinny people die all the time from heart attacks and other diseases that your so called "fat people" do not. Does this mean that fat is healthy? No one is saying that. But you are trying to connect elite levels of sport and health, which does not have a relationship. Sounds like you've watched too many XFit videos.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Gosh I think I've heard of more marathoners dying of heart attacks than powerlifters. Not that this means anything, but the marathon isn't a particularly heart-healthy sport for anyone.
    More marathoners die per time period than powerlifters or strength athletes. There's also more people "competing" in marathons, but the disease/death rate does appear to be higher. Interestingly, marathoners aren't necessarily lean, although some are. I'm trying to figure out what Eric's point is, but I think it has something to do with idolizing being lean with the irrational idea that this somehow increases longevity.

I just love googling powerlifting powerlifter deaths heart attack any combo of those words in google and reading the results of the deaths, so many fat slobs dying, but they are still in denial because lifting strong is what matters, nevermind they look like a fat slob.
    This sounds like a legitimate problem. Call up the NIH and see if you can look into it further.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what Eric's point is, but I think it has something to do with idolizing being lean with the irrational idea that this somehow increases longevity.
    You never did get around to posting that longevity stuff btw!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast