starting strength gym

Thread: Cant squat/DL for a bit

Default Cant squat/DL for a bit

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I have a planters wart which my chiropodist basically burns off my foot with acid.
    It leaves me quite blistered for a week (says you have to leave the blister since it is full
    of antibodies which help fight the wart) so i cant put much pressure on my foot.

I have to do this 3 times, at 2 week intervals and the blisters stop me from squatting/deadlifting for 1 week.
    What I did after the first session was to just do upper body for a week (i dont enjoy the quad and hamstring machines).
    Should I reduce my intake while this is happening? I am not 'activating' nearly as much muscle while im there. Or does the squatting that I did in the previous week continue to develop muscle in the week following?

I'd keep it about the same and train upper body more frequently.

Fair, thanks Jordan. I had to do this before and didnt think to ask anyone if it was a good idea. It worked pretty well.
    I was able to treat my bench like my squat and add 5 lbs per day. Until I hit ~ 200 lbs. Then it became dodgey if i could make the 5 lb jump per day but a reset set me back to the 5lb jumps.

If this continues I imagine my bench will be almost the same as my squat by the end of this treatment... :S

I wouldn't add 5lbs per day, but rather work on increasing frequency and volume over the week, maybe increasing weight for 5's and/or 3's 2x a week total. Other days would be sets of 6, 4's, at a submaximal weight for volume.

you mean sets or 5 or 3 twice a week and sets of 6 or 4 once a week?
    or sets of 5 rep 3 sets twice a week and once a week do 6 reps 4 sets?

Is the premise behind having a higher volume day since my pecs cant recover quickly like my legs can? or shouldnt be able to build as fast (since they are way smaller)
    Last edited by chico1st; 06-22-2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: horrible spelling ;(

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by chico1st View Post
    you mean sets or 5 or 3 twice a week and sets of 6 or 4 once a week?
    or sets of 5 rep 3 sets twice a week and once a week do 6 reps 4 sets?

is the premis behind having a higher volume day that my pecs cant recover quickly like my legs can? or shouldnt be able to build as fast (since they are way smaller)
    I think you could set it up a bunch of different ways. I would need more information to make an intelligent recommendation but then again, I'd probably just do something like Smolov Jr for bench press, albeit some of the days I'd do less intensity initially to allow adaptation to increased frequency to occur.

As to your last statement:

is the premis behind having a higher volume day that my pecs cant recover quickly like my legs can?
    If this were true you'd actually want to do the exact opposite. Upper body tends to recover pretty quickly, depending on your individual capacity and training adaptations.

or shouldnt be able to build as fast (since they are way smaller)
    Absolute pressing strength is limited by muscle mass involved, but the relative increases in strength don't appear to be affected too much by the relative smaller proportions of muscle mass as compared to the legs/trunk. Stop thinking muscles and start thinking movements :-)