starting strength gym

Thread: Wrist Injured While Learning Power Clean

Default Wrist Injured While Learning Power Clean

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I'm a few weeks into SS and I decided to add in the power clean. I went through the steps in the book and all seemed to be going well. Then I added 20 lbs to the empty bar. And when I jumped it felt like my right wrist was getting yanked out of place. The first time was painful enough that I figured I was doing something wrong. I thought maybe my elbows were loose going in and that was adding stress on my wrists when my arms were suddenly straightened out. I tried again focusing on straight elbows and had the same problem. It hurt bad enough that I called it day.

After this the wrist was tender to the touch, especially around the crease on the side between the hand and the ulna. It also hurt when I bent the hand backwards.

It has been about a week now and feels pretty good, but I don't want to screw it up again.

I don't have video to post of this because it was my first go around trying it out.

Any ideas on how I can avoid doing this again?

I've twisted my wrist while doing a clean, too, but it got better after three days of rest. Did yours not recover on its own?

I used to rack the bar with low elbows, catching the weight on my arms. That caused elbow and wrist pain. So don't do that :-)

Try again, and post a video for the coaches to look at.