starting strength gym

Thread: Skinny fat & gaining weight

Default Skinny fat & gaining weight

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Jordan, I am a skinny fat guy. I started SS in May at 5'10.5" 195 lbs with mid-20s BF%. I have been ad-libbing and counting only protein since I have had trouble burning out on strict calorie counting in the past, but the time has come to dial it in since I have gained 10 lbs in the past 3 weeks and am currently at 204 with similar BF levels.

Current lifts are Sq 190, BP 135, Pr 95, DL 225, PC 90

Basically I have 2 related questions:

1. At this level of strength and BF% what is the best strategy? I told myself I would prioritize strength gain over fat loss until October since I started so weak (105 lb. squat). Should I be eating like the "fluffy novice/intermediate" in the Beast article?

2. Since I started completely sedentary, I haven't been doing any conditioning in order to prioritize strength and not overwhelm myself. At what point should I add this in?

1) That'd be a good place to start.

2) I'd add in conditioning when you get to the advanced novice programming out of necessity.

Thanks for the quick reply. At ~24-25% should I be looking for slight weight loss or just maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by cph View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. At ~24-25% should I be looking for slight weight loss or just maintenance?
    I'd be looking to hold steady on the weight for a few weeks, although you should be noticing improved body composition.

Quote Originally Posted by cph View Post
    Hi Jordan, I am a skinny fat guy. I started SS in May at 5'10.5" 195 lbs with mid-20s BF%. I have been ad-libbing and counting only protein since I have had trouble burning out on strict calorie counting in the past, but the time has come to dial it in since I have gained 10 lbs in the past 3 weeks and am currently at 204 with similar BF levels.

Current lifts are Sq 190, BP 135, Pr 95, DL 225, PC 90

Basically I have 2 related questions:

1. At this level of strength and BF% what is the best strategy? I told myself I would prioritize strength gain over fat loss until October since I started so weak (105 lb. squat). Should I be eating like the "fluffy novice/intermediate" in the Beast article?

2. Since I started completely sedentary, I haven't been doing any conditioning in order to prioritize strength and not overwhelm myself. At what point should I add this in?
    What is this said Beast Article?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bryant View Post
    What is this said Beast Article?
    http://thefitcoach.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/584/