starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein for fatties

Default Protein for fatties

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hello world! First post…
    My question is mostly about estimating the amount of daily protein to be consumed based on body weight. What about overweight people? I’m 5’10” 250 lbs and around 37-40% bodyfat. Obviously I need to lose more weight (I was close to 300 a year ago) and I want to lose some more weight before beginning the starting strength program and bring my conditioning way up. It’s been a few years since I have lifted heavy weights but I was able to put up 205 cold on the bench for one rep yesterday down from 315 a few years ago. With my main focus being weight loss and conditioning for now, what would you all suggest for protein requirements to try to limit any muscle loss?

How old are you and what's the rest of your diet looking like, i.e. cals, carbs, fats?

also, relevant: http://thefitcoach.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/584/

I'm 35. Daily calories started around 1,500 a few weeks ago I have since upped it to 1,800 and noticed I'm losing more weight and a much nicer person, last couple of weeks fat 30% 63 grams carbs carbs 40% 166 grams protein 30% 135 grams. I know that there is going to be trial and error here but a little help could lessen the errors

Thanks!

I'd just up your protein to 180g and keep it there for awhile. Ideally it'd be right in that 220-270 range but I wouldn't go there right off the bat.

Thanks!

Thanks for the answer and article, Jordan! I had a similar question.... the specific examples and conditioning strategies rock. I just need to get over my previous bad "eat more, do more" experience and increase my caloric intake.

Quote Originally Posted by mamajules View Post
    Thanks for the answer and article, Jordan! I had a similar question.... the specific examples and conditioning strategies rock. I just need to get over my previous bad "eat more, do more" experience and increase my caloric intake.
    Thanks!

During recomp I set protein intake at 1 gram per pound of LEAN bodyweight, and successfully maintained muscle mass during the fat loss. Also trained, which is likely necessary to encourage the body to keep the muscle around.

This might be a useful guideline for the fluffier folks, since if bodyfat percentage is known, LBM is easy to calculate.

(And I'll add another voice to the chorus of appreciation for Jordan -- thanks for this forum sir!)

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
    During recomp I set protein intake at 1 gram per pound of LEAN bodyweight, and successfully maintained muscle mass during the fat loss. Also trained, which is likely necessary to encourage the body to keep the muscle around.

This might be a useful guideline for the fluffier folks, since if bodyfat percentage is known, LBM is easy to calculate.

(And I'll add another voice to the chorus of appreciation for Jordan -- thanks for this forum sir!)
    How do you calculate LBM without knowing bodyfat percentage?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tmack View Post
    How do you calculate LBM without knowing bodyfat percentage?
    You don't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast