starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check, pls help me be less bad at squatting.

Default Squat form check, pls help me be less bad at squatting.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Relevant stats: 23, 6'6", 193lbs, Squat PR is 290lbs 3x5 and 310x1

Currently doing an LP after injuring myself due to shitty squats, squatted 245 3x5 with no belt and want to see if I am on the right track in fixing my squat since I've been injured in the same way twice already. Both injuries occured from the bar coming forward out of the bottom and my upper back seeming to cave under the load. PR's were done with a belt, but I am squatting beltless to see if limiting the intensity that way will help me fix everything and then when I re-add a belt I'll be in a better place than I was before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1vTvoiIRHg

https://youtu.be/Z1vTvoiIRHg

During the very last rep I felt the bar come forward and it felt like my back rounded. I've also heard from some people that my elbows are too high and it could contribute to upper back rounding.

Your knees are caving in out of the hole and as you finish the rep your knees flare out. This is bad. Keep your knees fixed over your toes. Set them early on the way down, then sit back and let your hips do the work. I also recommend using a belt and tying your shoes.

So basically I'm pushing them back out too late/too far out after they cave at the bottom? Thanks, I'll work on my knee position when I squat later today.

The belt should be coming soon as my old one was stolen in my previous gym and I've been borrowing one for deadlifts once a week. The top straps on my shoes are forever stuck that way because the loop for the strap ripped off.

Don't listen to people regarding the high elbows. depth looks questionable on many of the reps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYHTV5h5ubI

This is from the previous workout and has a better view of the depth.

Your knees still collapse on some lifts but it is much improved. Are you working on gaining a bit of weight. As you train and eat enough you will gain some weight. Keep up the good work.

Depth is fine. Try TUBOW for your knee slide.

Thanks guys, the first set at 255lbs was significantly better with knees out, but I had trouble maintaining it and ended up with 5, 3, and then 5 with the belt but bad knee cave on the last two. Will try the the TUBOW, (or Terribly Useful Pad of Shame like that guy in another thread with knee cave) and see if I can keep them in place.

In what way did you fail on the second set? Did you leave it on the safeties or did you not attempt the final reps? Straying away from good form may be tempting when bar speed drops. It used to be like that for me at least; I would start to look up and move my knees since it felt like nothing else was happening otherwise. Looking at the videos later, I realized the bar was moving much faster than I perceived. Just stay with the hip movement and take your time.

You were a couple of inches high on the last rep of the first set by the way. Depth is easy to fix though, right now you should focus on knees and hip drive.

starting strength coach development program
    I missed the rep and had to bail because I couldn't keep my right knee out and couldn't safely finish the rep with the knee cave. Bar speed was indeed better for me when I kept my knees out during set one. Tomorrow's squats should be better since I'm re-doing the weight with a belt for all work sets.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast