starting strength gym

Thread: squats @ 245

Default squats @ 245

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I only got 3 reps on my last set of 5 today for my squats. I've been working nights recently and my recovery is taking a hit. Still eating a lot and drinking my milk, and sleeping 9 hours a night. I'm working 7 days a week 10 hours a night though. My day is pretty much go to work at 530pm get home at 400am and wake up at 100pm. Then I train and go to work.

This last squat session felt extremely hard. First two sets were brutal, questioning my sanity at the top of each rep difficult. But i fought through and dug down deep to a place i didnt know i could go. Are they supposed to be that hard at only 245 lbs? I did 2 singles to get my reps in. Here's the videos for those singles.

245 single 2: https://youtu.be/5dqrnpTlUh4
    245 single: https://youtu.be/adtRcO5-pGc

I know the rack is in the way but the first two sets were so hard I moved into the rack.
    Last edited by Jacobnorton; 06-05-2015 at 04:59 PM.

These look pretty solid. I don't see any major issues that need addressing. You just need to get stronger. Everyone hits roadblocks at different points so don't be discouraged if 245 is hard for you. I know that for me personally 185, 225, 255, and 275 haunted me until I got stronger and moved passed those numbers. The numbers in between kinda of just came and went. Now 315 is my next arch nemesis.

Okay. I'll try this weight again on Monday after 2 days rest and keep getting stronger.

Still hard, but I finished my sets today.

I'll attempt a bit of fine tuning. In your vid of the single you've got a bit of knee slide. If you look where your knees are at around 22-23 secs in that should be their widest most forward point (about halfway through the descent). After that point you need to push the hips back further and let your torso drop into the hole. The hip drive up should be a reverse of the descent. It looks like you get a bit forward (from the knee slide) and that may be why this was such a grinder.

What is your height and weight?

I've been working on the knee slide. It has gotten better but still not fixed. I have to cue myself "heels" to keep the weight over the midfoot and mitigate the knee slide. I am 6ft and 190ish lbs. Still gaining weight consistently, albeit slowly.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacobnorton View Post
    Still hard, but I finished my sets today.
    Insert token "It doesn't get easier, you just get stronger" quote here.