starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just barely started doing SS. The form on this lift has always been tough for me. This link should work, my other one I uploaded from my phone so thats probably why it didn't work. Any feedback on my technique would be much appreciated.

1x5 135 lbs

6'0 230 lbs BW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE9aoMWk-SQ

Those look quite good to me. They also look very easy for you. It looks like you could deadlift 250 lbs without much trouble. Form problems might arrive at much heavier weights if at all. Just keep adding 10 lbs per workout. (It looks like you could add 15-20 lbs for each of the next few workouts if you wanted to but there really is no need to hurry.)

Yeah I think my form will start to have problems once I reach heavier weights. Thanks for the feedback!

Jake,

They don't look bad...I can't see for sure, but it looks like the bar comes forward a bit on rep 2 on. Is it keeping in contact with your legs the entire time?

Also, on the way back down, you are banging your knees. Close the hip angle (hip flexion) more until after the bar passes the knee then close the knee angle (knee flexion)...your patellae will thank me.

I'd avoid that leg hop thing you do between reps, only because it might have a tendency to knock the bar off of mid-foot.

Last question...are you keeping your chest up? I might take an extra half second between reps to really squeeze that chest up.

I agree with the Webslinger, let's get that weight up then we will check the form...

Yeah I think I need to pull my chest up more, and I was also bending my knees before the bar passed them on the way down, so I will definitely work on those things.

Don't misunderstand, your knees will unlock some, but the majority of the initial descent is from hip flexion, not knee flexion. Make sense?

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah that makes sense, thanks for the help!