starting strength gym

Thread: Bench Press Form Check

Default Bench Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I've been struggling on the BP and I think I could use a look at my form. Maybe (in other words, almost guaranteed) I'm doing something wrong. These were 155# and 160#. I keep hitting a wall around 160lb.

You could go a little wider on your grip. Maybe a fingerwidth? I'd like you to be locked out firm when you take it out of the pins.

And, for God's sake, get a spotter and lose the collars. Do you have a death wish?

Other than that, time, persistence, and eating.

OK Thanks.

Good point on the collars-I usually don't use them on BP but now that you point it out, I wasn't paying attention and put them on out of habit (from other lifts).

Like Karl says, use some authority when you unrack the bar. You're babying it off as though you are saying, "Oh Mr. Barbell, please don't be too heavy so you don't crush me!" Lift that fucker off like a gorilla and make it your bitch!

I know what it's like to hit a bench press wall. Overall, the form looks pretty good though. Like Matt Reynolds says, sometimes you have to eat through the sticking points.

Other than what has been said about a spotter or a safety bar and removing the damned collars a belt might help.