starting strength gym

Thread: struggling with elbow tuck

Default struggling with elbow tuck

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I am really struggling with my elbow tuck. I have bench 230x5 before, but have been inspired to take a more narrow grip and to tuck my elbows on descent.

On my ascent, my elbows are flying out. I am having difficulty pressing in the "\" crescent shape. I did 165x5x5 today and had some slight flaring-its that bad!

My understanding is that the cause is weak triceps. What type of exercises or assistance programming would you recommend.

Whose bench model are you trying to follow? Have you read Starting Strength? Video?

When I benched 230, I was using a starting strength style.

I have no intention of benching geared. But just want to take good care of my shoulders. Also, quite frankly, Im pretty pissed that I can't seem to figure out how to properly do the tuck and want to at a minimum figure it out so that I can compare the two techniques.

We really need a video to pin point where you flare them out. Flaring your elbows out as your driving the bar up ward the last few inches is not always a bad thing. Keeping your upper back tight and really focusing on 'bending the bar' like mention above will help dramatically and it takes time to get it down.