starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick belt question

Default Quick belt question

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I found a cheap leather 4" wide belt online for 25 bucks. Its the traditional kind made out of one piece of leather but when I inquired about the thickness I was told that it is a little less than 1/4 inch. It comes with a year long guarantee on the entire belt and I only intend on using it sparingly ie twice a month or so for squatting . My squat is relatively low at this time ~325.

Should I be concerned about the thickness?

That's really thin, I wouldn't wear it. That's 6.35mm, most lifting belts are 10mm or 13mm.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyduck View Post
    I found a cheap leather 4" wide belt online for 25 bucks. Its the traditional kind made out of one piece of leather but when I inquired about the thickness I was told that it is a little less than 1/4 inch. It comes with a year long guarantee on the entire belt and I only intend on using it sparingly ie twice a month or so for squatting . My squat is relatively low at this time ~325.

Should I be concerned about the thickness?
    Why would you only use it twice a month? Use it for your heavy sets each workout and get used to using it.

I have 2 belts, a shitty thin one, and a 13mm nice leather one. There's not really a comparison between the two.

Guess I have my answer. Thanks.

For a lifting belt, buy quality and you will only have to buy once. A good belt will last you years and years. I plan on mine lasting until I retire. $25 is cheap but $82 will get you one of the "best" bests...pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny347 View Post
    For a lifting belt, buy quality and you will only have to buy once. A good belt will last you years and years. I plan on mine lasting until I retire. $25 is cheap but $82 will get you one of the "best" bests...pun intended.
    I use a 4.75 inch, USD 65 Reebok, I bought over five years ago. Fantastic piece of equipment. Wouldn't change it for the world. Only problem is that the velcro started giving up. Have had to get it ripped up and restitched by a road side cobbler. Looks a bit unsightly, but works darned well. Reebok does not produce the same model anymore. Which is a pity.

belts are important, dude. And the suckers live a damned hard life. Buy with care, and you will reap the benefits for years to come. I have not had the opportunity to use a high quality leather prong belt, so I will have to wait till I cannot repair this reebok anymore.

Can you all recommend some good quality belts? Also, is the same type of belt needed for someone 6' 220lbs as someone 5'8 150lbs?

Quote Originally Posted by AK49 View Post
    Can you all recommend some good quality belts? Also, is the same type of belt needed for someone 6' 220lbs as someone 5'8 150lbs?
    Depends on how much you lift, AK. And what your aims are.

best belts are a good all rounder. 4 inch is the broadest model they stock.

Most of the athletic equipment manufacturers such as nike and reebok dont have anything that is worth your time.

inzer has a couple that are good for anything deemed heavy duty, is what I have been told.

the rogue seems good too, just not as good as the ones from best.

Bestbelts.net. By far the best bang for your buck.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by lewabbit View Post
    Depends on how much you lift, AK. And what your aims are.
    I weigh 150lbs and squat 185 now, still going with LP. I am thinking about adding a belt because I've noticed some strain on my lower back recently. I do a high bar squat and I think my back is rounding a bit at the bottom. A belt may help me keep it in a better position. I plan to finish LP and will most likely go back to Crossfit and a maintenance plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast