starting strength gym

Thread: AC Joint Tear and Lifting

Default AC Joint Tear and Lifting

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I injured my ac joint in February of this year, this was caused by running with a Hockey Goalies gear on my shoulder while coaching a youth hockey tournament. This is not a typical way to injure an AC joint, but the downward force of the hockey bag strap on the joint caused a tear that was not felt until the bag was removed. I had the pain for several months thinking it would go away, finally in June I went to the hospital to get it checked and via xray and ultrasound it was found that I had a tear in the AC joint, they are not certain if it is a complete tear or partial.I am still waiting to see the surgeon in November for next steps.

I am 35, 300lbs, 6 feet tall and obese. With permission from my physician I started strength training about one month ago. His instructions were if you are careful and there is no pain then I can't see why you can't train. Prior to this week and reading your book I was blind and following a bodybuilding split routine with light weights high reps. I switched to strength training on Monday and I noticed a "pressure" feeling but not pain in my left (injured) shoulder when doing bench press. I wonder as the weight I am able to lift increases if that pressure may turn into something more serious and if there is something else I should do instead of bench until after I have the surgery and recovered.

"A tear in the AC joint" is terribly non-specific. Do you have any additional diagnostic information?

There's a few threads on this topic if you do a search.

If benching is causing irritation, don't bench. Focus on pressing for time being, and let it heal

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    "A tear in the AC joint" is terribly non-specific. Do you have any additional diagnostic information?
    The most specific I can get is that I have a partial to full tear in the coracoclvicular ligament. When they looked at the xrays it was clear that I have a step in my shoulder however it was not physically visible by looking at my shoulder. They also said there was some inflamation in the rotator cuff after having an ultrasound. When I first started lifting a month ago, I was working out with a bodybuilder freind and doing whatever he was doing. He was doing a shrug on the smith machine but with the bar behind his back, when I tried this there was immediate discomfort but I don't get discomfort doing them from the front. I hope that gives more detail as it is all the detail that I have.

My standard recommendation would be chins (lat pulldowns with a supine grip for you) and presses. But without a positive diagnosis, you'll have to see how it feels. Stay away from your bodybuilder friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    My standard recommendation would be chins (lat pulldowns with a supine grip for you) and presses. But without a positive diagnosis, you'll have to see how it feels. Stay away from your bodybuilder friend.
    Thanks I appreciate your well respected opinion. Where you said chins and knowing I wouldn't be able to do them suggested lat pulldowns, I am wondering if assisted chins would be better where my gym has this equipment? If not I will gladly do the lat pull downs I have worked with these pain free before.

Just do the lat pulls. Less trouble, just as effective for your purposes.

starting strength coach development program
    A few years back I suffered a Type III AC joint separation which wikipedia tells me, "both acromioclavicular and coracoclavicular ligaments are torn." I know we're all special snowflakes, but with the exception of heavy cleans I'm not limited by it. Bench is an occasional, but tolerable, irritant. Consider this anecdote as encouragment you will be ok in the long term.