starting strength gym

Thread: Power Clean Question

Default Power Clean Question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,
    I saw a video you made demonstrating the power clean bar path. I noticed that in the rack position your forearms were practically vertical. Has your clean always been this way? How has it hindered you, if at all. I have a similar racking position and was thinking of transitioning to the snatch instead. I can get it racked, but it seems I have to slam the bar to my throat to hit the small area the bar has to sit on.

I don't seem to have been hindered, but I'm not an Olympic lifter. The bar is on my delts, and that's the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I don't seem to have been hindered, but I'm not an Olympic lifter. The bar is on my delts, and that's the key.
    Then I better hurry up and increase my presses, bigger delts, bigger target!

Klokov's arms (elbows) hardly reach horizontal when he racks the clean...

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Klokov's arms (elbows) hardly reach horizontal when he racks the clean...
    Yeah but the bar is still on his deltoids, I think the op is talking about that in his rack the bar is floating , perhaps.

The OP didn't say. Say, OP, where is the bar in your rack?

The OP didn't say. Say, OP, where is the bar in your rack?
    It is on my delts up against the base of my throat. I don't really know how much of your fingers is supposed to be uder the bar, I just barely have the tips of my fingers under the bar, around the first joint. It is actually quite painful to my wrists because they are bent so far back, but I probably just need to get used to it. I'm only cleaning 152 1/2 lbs at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    Yeah but the bar is still on his deltoids, I think the op is talking about that in his rack the bar is floating , perhaps.
    Yes of course...just pointing out a lot bigger dudes hardly get in that perfect rack posisition with their arms... Including some elite Olympic lifters...yes, main thing is it sitting on the delts correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Meangreen View Post
    It is on my delts up against the base of my throat. I don't really know how much of your fingers is supposed to be uder the bar, I just barely have the tips of my fingers under the bar, around the first joint. It is actually quite painful to my wrists because they are bent so far back, but I probably just need to get used to it. I'm only cleaning 152 1/2 lbs at this point.
    It should be on your delts but not touching the base of your throat. So lower your elbows a little, or widen your grip.

starting strength coach development program
    It should be on your delts but not touching the base of your throat. So lower your elbows a little, or widen your grip.
    Will do Rip.