starting strength gym

Thread: Failed ID - Squat Check

Default Failed ID - Squat Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey all,

Just wondering if you could have a look at the following videos. I was attempting 1x5x335. Failed on the 4th rep. Tried a Second set of five and failed on the third rep.

I feel like my speed was good...I just stalled hard twice! I think my depth looks good too and my back appears to stay in extension with little rounding and/or pooping dog. But they don't flow. I think they look pretty disjointed, and I am not sure how to fix the disjointedness.

Thanks all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNJw9rQi0MQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJB51U1fdr8

Your back is too vertical which is making your knees go too far forward. As you come out of the bottom, you're leading with your chest. Watch your hip angle as you start to come out of the hole. You'll see it opening when it should remain fairly constant until you're almost halfway up. Fix this and this weight is really no problem for you.

Your back angle needs to be more horizontal. A lot more. The first thing you're going to do at the top of the squat as you start to descend is point your nipples at the floor. That will establish a more correct back angle early. As you approach the bottom, you may have to think about pointing your chest at the floor again and reaching back hard with your butt. You will keep your upper back locked in extension as you do this.

As you come up, you'll imagine the weight is attached to your belt and drive up with your butt.
    Last edited by Nick Delgadillo; 04-15-2015 at 09:21 AM.

Awesome. Thanks so much. I'll implement tonight. Based off your comment "this weight should be no problem," should I try again at the LP? I kept stalling at 315 so switched to TM about a month ago.

Thanks!

That's probably a good idea if you get the form fixed.

Nick, I really tried focusing on nipples to floor and leading with my hips and pointing back hard with my butts. The result was a very heavy feeling 275 that didn't look a whole lot different (to me) than the 335 the other day. I did feel a lot more of a moment arm on my back so maybe I was doing something right. And I think I was about 50% on driving up with my hips/belt between the three sets of five. Maybe I need to start LP at 275 or should I reload more to really work on form?

KoJ, my feet are approximately shoulder width to slightly wider than shoulder width.

Here is my last set from 15 apr:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=izEQ6MuWAOs

Thanks again!

One thing I noticed that hadn't been said yet is that around the area he stalls, his heels often pop up off the ground (in fact, on every rep - see 0:16 and 0:23 in the second video). I am unsure of why exactly this is happening, but it's also something to look out for.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Maybe its camera angle trickery, but his stance looks fairly narrow; possibly contributing/requiring a more vertical torso.
    Yes, I noticed the same thing. I also question if that was a true failure or a failure of nerve. It looked to me like you had it in you, but that you gave up the fight...

You're getting there. The first rep was your best one. Now you need to maintain the back angle you establish early on, so at the same time that you're setting your back angle by pointing your nipples at the floor, also set your knees. You'll push your knees out and forward as you set your back angle. Then reach back and shove your knees out the rest of the way down.

Watch how much forward knee travel there is as your set progresses. No matter how well you set your back early on, if your knees slide forward at the bottom, you've undone all the hard work at the beginning. It's significant enough that your heels are coming up. I think that setting your knees will keep you in your hips and will keep your feet flat. Try widening your feet about an inch on each side like others have suggested.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, I will definitely make it happen. However, it will be a few days. I strained what I hope is my right spinal erector last night overdoing deadlifts.