starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever use/hear of "Tri-Bar"

Default Anyone ever use/hear of "Tri-Bar"

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've got a line on a guy selling a lot of weight for a pretty good price. He is selling a mix of Ivanko and "Tri-Bar" plates in the following weights: 12-45's 2-35's 2-25's-2-10's 4-5's 2-2.5's. He says they are all machined and that Tri-Bar was a brand popular with pro bodybuilding in the 90's and early 2000's. The main thing I was interested in is that he is including a bar by Tri-Bar that he describes as such:

"The bar is unique in that it is thicker than usual. The grip part of the bar has three flat smooth surfaces ( hence Tri-Bar) that are designed to be more ergonomically correct for the hand. The knurling is nice. It also is good when squatting as it doesn't want to roll down your back as much. The sleeves are smooth machined. I've squatted 500 pounds with it, and rack pulled almost 700, it is still perfectly straight. The action is very good. It weighs 48 pounds. The black oxide finish has held up really well. The black oxide they put on bars these days is terrible in comparison.

I've used this bar for years, and it looks and functions like new. Like a lot of companies including Ivanko, many have gone overseas, or gone out of business. Tri- Bar was bought out by TKO and their stuff is now made in China, and they don't make OLY bars, or plates anymore, just curl bars, and those are junk. Things just are not the same quality anymore. This bar and the majority of the plates are pre-overseas."

From the way he describes it it sounds like the grip is a triangle. Just curious if anyone has heard of this. I can't see using it for everything, but it does sound interesting. Anyone used one or heard of it before. I'm going to buy the set anyway, since it is a package deal and $300 for 700+ pounds of good quality plates plus a bar is a good deal around here. I just wanted to see if anyone knew anything.

I think seeing a picture would be the first thing to do. The thicker bar might be bad for deadlifts but I don't have any direct experience with that.
    Last edited by Carlos Daniel; 11-30-2010 at 04:33 PM.

I found what he is talking about. I haven't picked up the set yet to check it out first hand, but this is the "Tri-Grip" deal. Seems like it could be gimicky or could be cool. Since I am mainly doing this for the weights I'm not too concerned, but it'll be interesting.

Looks cool, I'd love to try it., but if you ever plan on competing then you should get used to the standard round ones...

Default Don't Like It

We have one in my gym. I don't like it. It feels really strange if you are used to using a round bar. I think it would be particularly bad for deadlifts.

I can't even imagine trying to PC or snatch with it

Haha, I was at an out-of-town gym recently and all the bars in the place were like this. They SUCK. I was there on bench press day so I can't speak to any other exercises, but man... it SUCKED.

Well, I am buying it for the weight more than anything, 700+ pounds of Ivanko and other quality plates for $300. If nothing else I'll sell the bar later or use it for something else.

Eh, guess it is moot point anyway. Guy emailed me back and says now that he has two other dudes interested in it as well and now wants to take the highest bidder "to be fair." He told me yesterday when I responded to the ad that he would "hold everyone else off", even though I offered to go straight there and pick it up. Fuck that, you post a fucking price for something you should sell it for that price, not wait for a few guys to say they are interested and then try and get them to bid them against each other.

starting strength coach development program
    Dude, 700+lbs of Ivanko... bid on that shit! CHEAP bumpers are $2/lb new!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast