starting strength gym

Thread: Bill Starr’s big three?

Default Bill Starr’s big three?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I read your article about 5x5. Thanks for very helpful article, coach Andy. If I want to be good at like soccer, Is the Bill Starr’s big 3 program(power clean, bench press, squat, ramping 5x5) still useful?

Now my program is like this.
    (All ramping 5x5)Power clean 100lbs, bench press 120lbs, squat 200lbs. Adding 5 lbs to PC and Bench every workout. 5 lbs to squat every two workout(one heavy day, one light day)

I want to know if the big 3 can work like this.
    Thanks!

I think that particular program was overly simplified in order to accommodate and train large groups of athletes in relatively small spaces in relatively short amounts of time. In scenarios where you are trying to coach say 50 athletes in small weight room you need to teach as few things as possible and they need lots of frequency on the main lifts to get more technically efficient at them as they probably didn't get a whole lot of one on one coaching on them. Have everybody do the same thing 3x/week and eventually the coach can get around the room and get everybody up to speed on all the lifts. Too many lifts in the program and everything is done badly.

Also it made the program more marketable to HS and other collegiate programs.

You could keep the same basic concept for soccer, but I'd probably include Deadlifts and/or RDLs in there as well as Presses. Main thing for soccer is the Squats which this program addresses just fine