starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about weight jumps

Default Question about weight jumps

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I am training with my son. He just got done football, I have been out of the game for a couple months due to work mandatory overtime due to being busy and I work a physical job, it was getting to be too much. I always had an elbow or knee fucking with me.

Anyhow I thought I read that the suggested weight jumps are recommended for guys from 18-35 or something like that

The boy is 6'3" 275lbs 15 years old

I am 6'4" 260 lbs 47 years old

We reset everything back to the novice progression. My question is should we both be more conservative with the weight jumps? Or should we just power through novice progression as written?

I am picking up Barbell Prescription for myself once linear progression ends, I suspect we will be on 2 different programs at that point.

How conservative are you talking? Assuming you're somewhere in the normal demographic (e.g. not obese or otherwise impaired) you sound like two large men with the capacity to get strong. Obviously I wouldn't recommend bumping bench up 20 lbs from session to session, but 5-10 (maybe 15 on deadlift) lb jumps should work just fine, with press obviously having the smallest increases.

I was thinking 5 on the presses 10 on squat and 10-15 on dead until it slows down.

Are y’all coming back to LP or starting for the first time?

Last offseason I had him up to 135 5x3 on bench

I had topped off at 185 his coach puts huge emphasis on bench for some reason so we went to 5x3 to try and get him topped out as high as possible.. I think he had like a 155 max

We are coming back to it, so I suspect as he hits another wave of puberty he will leave me in the dust.

He just has poor body awareness, so I reset him back to 115 to get the form kicked off on the right foot. His elbows were getting a little flared out there last season toward the end.

He started out

115 bench
    135 squat went to 155 no issue
    65 lb press
    last deadlift session for him was 185

poor body awareness meaning he has always been a bit clumsy due to growing so fast. I suspect this will improve as his growth slows down, but he has potential genetics to be 6'7"

Just go up 5 for the presses for now, let his growth potential take care of things. As he gets better he should blow past 135 on bench easily, but get fractional plates so you can continue to add weight in smaller jumps.

He might be able to get 10 pound jumps for squats for 1-3 weeks total. Because y’all didn’t get very far, it’s harder to say. But 135-145-155 should be doable, for sure. When the bar speed slows a lot go to 5 pound jumps.

Go back to 135 for the DL, get a 20 pound jump, then 2x 15 pound jumps. That gets him back to 185 and he should be good with 10 pound jumps for a while, and then 5 pound jumps after that.

Make sense?

Sounds like a plan, thanks.

Last offseason it seemed like his upper limit was limited by not being able to gain much muscle due to not being in full blown puberty yet.. this offseason facial hair and deeper voice seems like he is in it... now to just find some coaching for those pesky power cleans when it gets to that point LOL. .

starting strength coach development program
    He should be able to do 2 weeks of 10 pound jumps on the squat and a similar situation with deadlifts. Then 5 pound jumps. He might get a 10 pound jump or two on bench if you wanted, but it is likely not necessary since you should be playing the long game with someone who is 15. The press could be a single 10 pound but probably starting off with 5s is fine. Basically, he can do the program as prescribed. Feed the boy, FEEEEEED HIM.

It's interesting that what you described as being conservative (10 pounds on squat, 5 on presses, and 10-15 on deadlift) is what I recall Starting Strength describing as the standard starting point. Maybe I have to reread the books yet again.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast